Mood Disorders Expert Forum
Upped dosage of anti-anxiety meds-- Normal side effects?

Welcome to the Mood Disorders Forum. Questions in this forum are being answered by Peter Forster, MD and topics covered are anxiety, bipolar, depression, panic disorder, post traumatic stress disorder and stress.

Hello Doctor,
I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder and my GP put me on Wellbutrin XL 150mg. I went back to him at the beginning of January and he upped the dosage to 300mg. Since I had just filled my prescription for 150, he told me to take 2 until they were finished. I didn't have a problem until I got the 300mg pill (January 20). I usually take the pill with food, but it seems that by 1-3pm, I start to get weak and nauseated. If I eat something when this happens it gets alittle better, but it still bothers me because it didn't occur with the 2x 150mg. Also, since taking the upped dosage, I find that I've been having stronger anxiety attacks and at night, insomnia to the point that I have had ~3hrs or so of sleep/night. Is this common with the upped dosage? Or should I be concerned and contact my GP?
Thanks for your time!
Wellbutrin is not approved to treat anxiety and some doctors feel that it can worsen anxiety symptoms, at least temporarily. I would definitely discuss your experiences with the medication with your GP.
Thank you Doctor Forster. Greatly appreciate your response. Is there an anti-anxiety prescription that works for anxiety? I was on citolopram (sp?) before and I found that it made me really nauseated, and when I went to my GP, he put me on what I am on now.
Thanks again.
The medications most often used are the serotonin agents (like citalopram, but I often find that switching to a different medication in this class can work, for instance, paroxetine, or sertraline, etcetera).
Another medication that we probably don't prescribe as often as we should is buspirone. It takes a while to work and has subtle effects at the beginning so people may not notice how much of an effect it can have on anxiety.