Upped dosage of anti-anxiety meds-- Normal side effects?
Hello Doctor,
I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder and my GP put me on Wellbutrin XL 150mg. I went back to him at the beginning of January and he upped the dosage to 300mg. Since I had just filled my prescription for 150, he told me to take 2 until they were finished. I didn't have a problem until I got the 300mg pill (January 20). I usually take the pill with food, but it seems that by 1-3pm, I start to get weak and nauseated. If I eat something when this happens it gets alittle better, but it still bothers me because it didn't occur with the 2x 150mg. Also, since taking the upped dosage, I find that I've been having stronger anxiety attacks and at night, insomnia to the point that I have had ~3hrs or so of sleep/night. Is this common with the upped dosage? Or should I be concerned and contact my GP?
Thanks for your time!
Wellbutrin is not approved to treat anxiety and some doctors feel that it can worsen anxiety symptoms, at least temporarily. I would definitely discuss your experiences with the medication with your GP.
Thank you Doctor Forster. Greatly appreciate your response. Is there an anti-anxiety prescription that works for anxiety? I was on citolopram (sp?) before and I found that it made me really nauseated, and when I went to my GP, he put me on what I am on now.
Thanks again.
The medications most often used are the serotonin agents (like citalopram, but I often find that switching to a different medication in this class can work, for instance, paroxetine, or sertraline, etcetera).
Another medication that we probably don't prescribe as often as we should is buspirone. It takes a while to work and has subtle effects at the beginning so people may not notice how much of an effect it can have on anxiety.