Mood Disorders Expert Forum
What is wrong here?

Welcome to the Mood Disorders Forum. Questions in this forum are being answered by Peter Forster, MD and topics covered are anxiety, bipolar, depression, panic disorder, post traumatic stress disorder and stress.

What is wrong here?

I really would like your input regarding my mental health as I went back to see my psychiatrist regarding my medication in which she changed Doxepin from 100 mg to 50 mg (due to the fact of me telling her that I am very fatigued) and am still on Trazodone 100 mg she also added Haldol 0.5 mg at bedtime for anxiety as I was telling her about my anxiety problems where I feel alot of sensations going through my body, feeling shaky, twitching, very fatigued. etc.    I also have been medically diagnosed as having 'hypothyroidism along with 'borderline' diabetes.  I am currently taking Synthroid 50 mcg for my hypothyroidism but just watching my diet for the diabetes.  My prim dr tells me the anxiety is NOT caused by hypothyroidism but other people say it maybe a factor.  I will be seeing my prim dr in Oct for a followup on my hypothyroidism.
My latest blood test from July is as follows:
Hemoglobin A1C 6.5 which Ref Range 4.0-6.0 Est. Average Glucose 139.9   Ref range 68.0-126.0   T4, Free 1.31  Ref. Range 0.80-1.80  TSH-Ultrasensitive 8.66  Ref. Range 0.35-5.50.  I also had another blood test done back in April which was:  T4 Free 1.27  Standard Range 0.80-1.80       T3 Free 2.9  Standard Range 2.3-4.2    TSH-Sensitive 6.74  Standard Range 0.35-5.50   Do you think that my Thryoid has something to do with my Anxiety and Depression problems that I am experiencing on a daily basis?   What do you think?
I'm not a doctor so I can't really say. But when I first went to my doctor complaining of anxiety, the first thing he did was check my Thyroid, so I know it could have a lot to do with anxiety.
It is certainly possible. Although your labs do not suggest that your thyroid status is much outside the "normal" (in fact different doctors would say different things about whether the isolated elevation in your TSH is significant or not). One useful way of assessing this is for you to find a checklist of "hypothyroid" symptoms to see whether and to what extent your physical symptoms suggest that your thyroid is possibly causing you problems. You can try Googling "hypothyroid symptoms"... or go to the Mayo clinic or Wikipedia sites.