Mood Disorders Expert Forum
anti-depressant stopped working

Welcome to the Mood Disorders Forum. Questions in this forum are being answered by Peter Forster, MD and topics covered are anxiety, bipolar, depression, panic disorder, post traumatic stress disorder and stress.

anti-depressant stopped working

I have been taking Prozac at 20 mg for about a month. It seemed to help my depression pretty fast within a couple days, now it has been over a month and now I am starting to feel depression again.
I thought these type of medications the person was suppose to improve in about a month?  My depression is more mild, I don't have extreme agitation or irritability like I did, I just have this apathetic feeling were I don't want to get out of bed. I feel kind of slow like I am in a fog.
There are basically two strategies for dealing with this -

1. Switch antidepressants
2. Augment your Prozac with another medication

It sounds as though the Prozac is having an effect - just not the effect that you wanted.

What you describe as the reduction in agitation and irritability and a sense of apathy sounds like the effect that is characteristic of increased serotonin activity. A common approach to this problem would be to add more norepinephrine activity either by switching to a medicine like Cymbalta (duloxetine) or Effexor (venlafaxine) or by adding a small dose of Wellbutrin (bupropion) to the Prozac. Increased norepinephrine activity should enhance motivation and focus.

An alternative approach might be to try reducing slightly the dose of the Prozac... the apathy inducing effect of Prozac and other medications like it definitely seems to be dose related... I would be less inclined to do that because you describe yourself as still somewhat depressed.

Peter
It kind of sounds as though your depression is in partial remission.
Do you need a medication adjustment?  It could be that your med needs to be increased.

The doctor has spoken about apathy from meds on another post somewhere.

I hope you get some good advice from the expert.
Thanks for the responses. I took some 5htp last night and my mood has drastically changed over night.  I am at my boyfriends house and kept myself busy all day cooking. Before I was at my parents house stuck in my room, the environment might of had something to do with the way I was feeling. I will look into adding something that stimulates norepinephrine too.