Mood Disorders Expert Forum
physical abuse
About This Forum:

Welcome to the Mood Disorders Forum. Questions in this forum are being answered by Peter Forster, MD and topics covered are anxiety, bipolar, depression, panic disorder, post traumatic stress disorder and stress.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

physical abuse

I am writing to seek your guidance on relationship problem. I and my boyfriend have had a shaky long-distance relationship for past four years during which he has been verbally abusive (using swearing) and has physically abused me twice over some fight when we met . In response to his behavior I have tried to breakup this relationship but he gets very aggressive and recently after I wanted a breakup over his physical abuse, he apologized and he started abusing himself physically "in order to show his love for me". He has taken to alcoholism and self abuse since I have expressed to leave the relationship. I am concerned about his well being, do you think psychological therapy will help him  in this regard?