Multiple Sclerosis (MS) Expert Forum
Confusing Neurological Symptoms..MS related?

Welcome to the Multiple Sclerosis (MS) forum. Questions will be answered by medical professionals and experts.

Thank you for taking the time to review my question. I am a 43 yr old female (non-menopausal) experiencing some strange symptoms, that seem to be neurological in nature and have me concerned that I may be looking at MS. A brief history: I have had occular migraines (migraine with aura no headache) for over 20 yrs. These migraines happen about every 6 weeks and consist of flashing lights that last approx. 15 minutes. No headache has ever followed.
About 16 years ago I had a spontaneous episode of vertigo (room spinning) that lasted about 5 mins. I was pregnant at the time and the Dr's said it could have been pregnancy related. Five years ago I had a spontaneous episode of binocular diplopia, I was at a Dr's office and he asked me what was wrong with my eye, this lasted about 2 min's. Three years ago same thing, spontaneous binoc. diplopia that lasted 2 min's. This time I had an opthamologist do a full exam, he found nothing.
Last weekend, another episode of vertigo lasting 3 min's, followed the next day by migraine aura. Yesterday, a spontaneous episode of binoc diplopia lasting less than 1 minute. I tried to get to a mirror, but I did not notice any change in the position of my eyes.
In general I have had constant feelings of unsteadiness and mild dizziness, and my short term memory seems to be good, then not so good. Do any of these symptoms seem consistent with MS...It has been suggested that I have an MRI however I tried and couldnt get past the cage covering my head and they couldnt do the test. Please advise your thoughts when you have a moment.
Thank you.
Dear momtotwinsplus1,

I have gone through your query and will try to provide some information and recommendations about your condition.

As per your history, you have three main problems - migraine headache, vertigo and diplopia.

Dizziness or vertigo is a common complaint among migraineurs. It can be seen in one third of people who have migraine. Vertigo usually lasts between 5 minutes and 1 hour—with or without nausea, vomiting, photophobia, or headache. These symptoms in the setting of a previous personal history or a positive family history of migraine support the diagnosis of vestibular or vertiginous migraine.

Diplopia which usually lasts less than a minute and nothing seen on examination may also be related to migraine (opthalmoplegic variant) itself.

However as vertigo and diplopia can also occur in multiple sclerosis (MS) due to the brain stem involvement, one cannot completely rule out MS. Yet in cases such as yours I would tend to say that you do not have MS because we haven’t seen any new or progressive symptoms especially when you are not on treatment.

So to conclude, I personally feel you have chronic vertiginous migraine with unexplained diplopia. MRI is the only investigation that can detect MS. You can talk to your primary physician / neurologist to confirm the same.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Thank you for using MedHelp's "Ask an Expert" Service, where we feature some of world's renowned medical experts in their fields. Millions have benefitted from our service to get personalized advice for them and for their loved ones.

Best Regards,
Dr. Shiva Kumar R