Multiple Sclerosis (MS) Expert Forum
Could I have MS

Welcome to the Multiple Sclerosis (MS) forum. Questions will be answered by medical professionals and experts.

Could I have MS

I am trying to see if this is all in my head. First to give some back ground. About three years ago I had a MRI done due to having severe headaches and also facial pain on the right side of my face. The MRI only showed one UBO. The DR that I was seeing at that time placed me on Topamax for the headaches. After about two years the facial pain started becoming more frequent at least 5 times or more a day. It was a burning sensation along with the feeling of stabbing electric shock and my ear drum felt a great amount of pressure. The muscles on the right side of my face would tighten to the point that I could not speak. My DR did another MRI and there was nothing except two more UBO's. The placed me on neurotin (sp?) and carbomezapin (sp?) Not a large dose but to be taken 3 times a day.
I am also taking a large amount of sleep aid. Most nights I take 6 OTC sleeping please just to get 6 hrs of sleep at best. I also take 15mr of requip for RLS. Within the last six months I have been finding myself saying the wrong words when I am having a conversation or I will not recall the correct word at all. In the last month I have been having pain in my hands and feet. Not a ache but a  sharp pain that comes out of no where.  I am also tired most of the time.  Oh I almost forgot the facial pain has changed a bit over the last month. It has always included the eye but now it is severe pain in the right eye. Almost like there is something sharp within the eye that is causing it to hurt. The pain will last for about a minute or so and disapate.I have asked two different Neurologist about this and becasue one did not like the other it was more of a *** for tat. So now I am a bit perplexed. I want to know what the heck is wrong with me but I do not want to look like somneone just bouncing from one doctor to another. i have gone to my GP and shared the details but they stated that this was something I needed to see a specialist for. Any advice you can give would be helpful. Thanks
I agree with your GP for admitting when things are beyond them.

I would suggest a full MS work-up including cervical and thoracic MRIs, spinal tap and evoked potentials.

I would also recommend seeing:
1. A neuro-ophthalmologist
2. A neuropsychologist.

You clearly have atypical facial pain and this may be associated with your migraines or they may be something else unifying your symptoms.
1 Comment
A related discussion, MS Possible was started.