Multiple Sclerosis (MS) Expert Forum
Extremities, Weakness
About This Forum:

Welcome to the Multiple Sclerosis (MS) forum. Questions will be answered by medical professionals and experts.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Extremities, Weakness

Hi,
I have had leg and arm weakness that used to seem erratic and intermittent but lately seems to be worsening, more especially in the legs.  Today at Target a bottle of fabric softener and a gallon of milk (lifted seperately) felt heavy!  For approx. 20 yrs I have, on occasion, been struck with an intense weakness/numbness in my legs upon standing that literally causes me to need to grab hold of something to prevent fall and then I recover within 30 seconds or so. It would happen more when holding a baby! I have low back injury (I think L4-L5?) from unknown cause x 4yrs that seems to progressivly cause more stiffness and discomfort.  There is a "dent" in my L quad muscle and a sensation of irritation (not pain or soreness, but noticeable feeling)    Right now my plan is taking Advil and doing pilates exercise and Weight Watchers, if I don't improve over 2 wks calling MD.  Other data:  I am 37 yo female, 5'7 180 lbs. G3/P3 two c-sections, hx of hypothyroid, mvp -currently meds only synthroid .037 mg.  Think this is nerve damage from back injury or neuro or just overweight/out of shape, a combo, ALS?  Am I doing the right thing as far as tx or should I be running to a neurologist?