Multiple Sclerosis (MS) Expert Forum
MS and age...

Welcome to the Multiple Sclerosis (MS) forum. Questions will be answered by medical professionals and experts.

MS and age...
Are the symptoms of MS more noticeable on those in their 40s or 50s then those in their 20s and 30s?  Can someone with MS end up on a wheelchair when they're in their 20s or even 30s?
MS may worsen over time and we also age over time, so it would seem that MS may worsen as you age.

There are different types of MS and everyone's MS is different, so there are some people in wheelchairs in their 20s (and even younger) but not all of them necessarily stay in the wheelchairs.

I agree with the community members' comments, that it would make sense to speak with your neurologist about your particular situation.
hi Liz, The doctor usually isn't around on the weekends, so I would like to invite you over to the community run MS forum - I am sure your question will stimulate lots of conversation there while you wait for his official answer here.  

be well,
Lulu
Thanks, will do.
Hello Liz, in my opinion MS does worsen with age.
I had my first attack at the age of twenty eight and remained asymtomatic until the age of thirty six.

By then I was chronic and went from walking to wheelchair in two years.

I am forty nine now and very slowed down.

I recommend that you and your doc discuss the reality of aging and MS. It may be time to make changes to meds ect.

Good luck!
If I remember correctly, from what I've read when MS begins later in life it is more likely to be the progressive type rather than relapsing/remitting.  It tends to progress faster.

WAF
I'm new to the board, thank all of you for your postings.  I have t2 hyperintense lesion in left pericallosal  white matter of the  frontal lobe with subtle enhancement  on the postcontrast sequesences  the fingings are suspicious for possibillity of demyelinating disease.
t2 weighed and flair demonstrate focu of increased t2 signal in the white pericallosal white  matter of the left lobe that measure 6mm, there isa tiny mm focus of the increase signal of the right  pericallosal white matter.

I'm 47 year old male.  I don't return to my neuro for two weeks, I had bad headaches that & my eye turned red.
From what I have read to date this may be age related or just the start of demyelinating disease.
The side effects that I think I have is that I feel light headed & fine myself grabbing for handrails more and more.

Could I have anyone's thoughts?  What do think is going on I was told if the results were bad I would receive a call,
Hi everyone, I am suffering from nightly leg spasms. the doctor gave me zenaflex 4 mg. I take it about 10 at night. The first 10 days it worked great but now I wake up in agony at 3 in the morning. Does anyone have these spasms and what do you do to ease them? I cannot go on like this. Any help will be appreciated Thank you.
I have type 1 diabetes. I also was just diagnosed with MS. I have pain that starts in the bottom of both my feet and occassionally goes up legs. What is the difference between MS and diabetic neuropathy? Is there  a test to determine which this is? My sugar has always been under control until the recent use of steroids, A1C on average 6.5 with no complications from the diabetes. Both relate to nerve damage so how can we tell?Any info would be appreciated.
A related discussion, Medication was started.
A related discussion, pins and needles was started.
A related discussion, spasms was started.
A related discussion, Not a clue was started.
A related discussion, I was dx in june 2012 Dr never explained mri was started.