Multiple Sclerosis (MS) Expert Forum
Phantosmia

Welcome to the Multiple Sclerosis (MS) forum. Questions will be answered by medical professionals and experts.

Phantosmia

Hello Dr Kantor,
I have been diagnosed with MS for a year and a half, for the past couple of months  I have been smelling  phantom smoke/fire for a few days at a time that goes away for a few weeks then returns again. I have had a EEG to check for seizures , also have been to the ENT and had a catscan of my sinuses, both those tests were normal. Do you think this can be MS related?  I have heard differing opinions on this and was hoping  you can give your opinion. Thank you for your time.
1 Comment
While you are correct (as are your doctors) that seizures are the first thing (as well as ENT reasons that should be looked into.

with those not happening (remember, however that one routinue EEG in no way rules out seizures(, then MS may rarely cause this stressful symptom.

Smell processing occurs in the brain and is not immune from MS involvement.