Multiple Sclerosis (MS) Expert Forum
Primary Lateral Sclerosis

Welcome to the Multiple Sclerosis (MS) forum. Questions will be answered by medical professionals and experts.

Primary Lateral Sclerosis
Hi, Dr. Kantor--

First, I'm amazed that I can get a question in. Weird.

Anyway...my neuro recently decided maybe PLS for me and is sending me to Methodist in Houston to their neuro folks there. My question is, I have Lhermitte's and some buzzing-zapping-type paresthesias. Wouldn't that kind of help rule out PLS? I can see why he thinks that--got a lot of UMN signs, but...what about those paresthesias, that Lhermittes? Oh...also have a waddling gait and normal EMG except for sharp waves in right limb and half-CMAPs on right. Am weak, however, on left arm and both legs. Hyperreflexia, Hoffmans, reflex spread, etc.

Thanks!
Biowaddles
It sounds like your neurologist is thinking about potential diagnoses and trying to rule them out. Your neurologist sounds like a good doctor and we all hope that your symptoms will soon be explained.
That should be "sharp positive waves in right UPPER limb." Legs appear normal on EMG; hips a "little sharp" but still in normal range.

Bio
To be more direct: Do you see paresthesias with strictly UMN diseases?
There may be more than one thing going on such as degenerative disc disease.

Upper Motor Neuron symptoms should be motor symptoms.