Multiple Sclerosis (MS) Expert Forum
Primary Lateral Sclerosis
About This Forum:

Welcome to the Multiple Sclerosis (MS) forum. Questions will be answered by medical professionals and experts.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Primary Lateral Sclerosis

Hi, Dr. Kantor--

First, I'm amazed that I can get a question in. Weird.

Anyway...my neuro recently decided maybe PLS for me and is sending me to Methodist in Houston to their neuro folks there. My question is, I have Lhermitte's and some buzzing-zapping-type paresthesias. Wouldn't that kind of help rule out PLS? I can see why he thinks that--got a lot of UMN signs, but...what about those paresthesias, that Lhermittes? Oh...also have a waddling gait and normal EMG except for sharp waves in right limb and half-CMAPs on right. Am weak, however, on left arm and both legs. Hyperreflexia, Hoffmans, reflex spread, etc.

Thanks!
Biowaddles
Related Discussions
669758_tn?1242334351
It sounds like your neurologist is thinking about potential diagnoses and trying to rule them out. Your neurologist sounds like a good doctor and we all hope that your symptoms will soon be explained.
4 Comments
Blank
378497_tn?1232147185
That should be "sharp positive waves in right UPPER limb." Legs appear normal on EMG; hips a "little sharp" but still in normal range.

Bio
Blank
378497_tn?1232147185
To be more direct: Do you see paresthesias with strictly UMN diseases?
Blank
669758_tn?1242334351
There may be more than one thing going on such as degenerative disc disease.

Upper Motor Neuron symptoms should be motor symptoms.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating: What Your Closet ...
Jul 09 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank