Multiple Sclerosis Community
If Protein levels high...

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

If Protein levels high...

If my protein levels are high , which is what my neuro told me, does that mean I should stay away from eating much protein?

I have heard that we MSers don't need any carbs, but if protein and carbs are out of the equation, then only fruits and veggies?  
Can you please expand on what results your doctor was talking about?  Was this a blood test?  the amount of protein in your diet should not effect the protein level in your blood that much, unless you are taking extra protein like Body Builders use protein supplements.

I don't have MS, but I don't think this sounds like an MS thing either.

Some illness causes the body to make too much of certain proteins that can then show up in the blood. (for example liver or kidney)

I would follow up with your doctor and ask for more testing to determine the type of proteins that are causing they elevated result.

A test that measures this is called The SPEP test (Serum Protein Electropheris) which is a blood test the breaks up the blood proetiens into "bands" to give an idea of what the elevated protein is!
I'm sorry that I can't answer your question but I do want to bump your post up so that maybe someone that knows will see it... Have a blessed day...

I'll be praying,
Carol
Thanks Carol! Your awesome!!!  I love the new pic of you!!  You look beautiful!
Hey girl, protien levels in your blood have NOTHING to do with your diet or consuming too much protein.

Not sure I know exactly what it means but it can be serious and definately be related to your immune system.  What exactly did your neuro tell you other than yours were high?  Like in too high or just on the high side?  He is going to be performing more blood tests on you?

Not sure where you heard MS's don't need carbs. We all need carbs. Carbs are even in veggies.  It is best to stay away from processed foods and probably for your waistline to stay away from too many complex carbs but carbs in general aren't bad.

Maybe someone else can add to the blood protein question you had. What exactly it means.  Sorry.  Hope you are feeling ok.

Julie

Thanks so much to all of you!  I was at my neuro by myself the day she told me this, and I can't remember how exactly she said it, but it was somethimg like this  I am completly paraphrasing this because I don't remember the words she used.  "  Most people's levels are around a 7 and your's are a 23."  Ok, please understand that I was in complete cog fog at this time.  The numbers could be totally wrong but  it was the fact that most people's are in the lower range, and mine are in the 2 digit range.

I will get her office to fax me alll the tests I have had. When I call the office to ask for them, what do I say?  I get confused really easily so please help me with this and forgive my slowwwww  brain!  Thanks to all of you!  Don't know what I would do without you!

Huggies!!
Kelli
I would just ask your neuro what he thinks!  Providing you like your doctor?  Their job is to figure out and advise you on these things.  Could be something like a med you are taking is irritating your liver,  or you have inflamation (inflammation) in your body, or are getting over an infection.