Multiple Sclerosis Community
? MS Diagnosis

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

? MS Diagnosis

I'm new here.  I'm in the Lyme versus MS h*ll.  My symptoms started with chills, no fever, 2 days later with joint pain, fatigue, nausea, dizziness.  Lyme serology was negative.  I went and saw a neurologist and he said I had a pale optic nerve which lead me to a MRI.  MRI showed 2mm foci in the subcalossal region of the right parietal lobe.  No other lesions anywhere.  Over the past few weeks my symptoms have grown to include left sided weakness, numbness, tingling.  No one can seem to differentiate which diagnosis is correct.  Meanwhile, I'm suffering?
Hi and welcome to our little MS community,

If the neurologist you saw suspected MS, because he thought you could have a pale optic nerve/disc, he was probably thinking of Optic Neuritis, which in relation to MS is a common clinical sign. Getting some actual visual tests, may be the easiest direction to pursue, for a more solid answer on IF you actually do have a pale optic disc or not, seeing an ophthalmologist might be a good next step.

I honestly have a very limited understanding of Lyme disease, if it were something like MS though it's presented rather un-typically, to me it actually does sound like it started out more like a viral response than an MS attack, though i'm not sure if that really helps the Lyme vs MS question you have. I think you probably would benefit from going back to your GP, explain to him or her that both MS and Lyme were suspected but there is no test evidence suggestive of either condition, and ask......"if not Lyme or MS then what else could it be?"

Cheers.............JJ

In children, there is a post-viral encephalopathy, called A.D.E.M. (acute disseminated encephalitis).  It can be considered on the MS as well as the leukodystrophy spectrums.  VERY rarely, an adult might get it.  
The symptoms are so close it really takes doctors to determine. If you remember a bull's eye rash before all this started it is more likely Lymes. My friends who are all into Lymes disease want me to consider it. I have had MS since 1965 and have all the evidence of MS.

Alex
I'm sorry your are not feeling well.
  My sister has lyme and it has been no picnic. There are 2 lyme tests and my sister said that the western blot test is the most conclusive o f the 2.
My sis also said that if you do get the bullseye rash it is like the golden ticket cause then it can be treated right away. She was not so lucky.
There are also a host of co-infections that go along with lyme that causes a wide array of symptoms. These co-infections can be tested for as well. She is currently seeing a lyme specialist that is an infectious disease doc that specializes in lyme disease.
I'm just offering what I know from what I have learned from her and all she has been through. I'm not sure if this helps.
I have ms and I can tell you that my sis and I share some of the same symptoms but we also have some very different symptoms too.
I hope you are able to get to the bottom of what is causing your symptoms.
Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Best regards, barb