Multiple Sclerosis Community
4000 units vit D daily??? Good or not?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

4000 units vit D daily??? Good or not?

My neuro just put me on 4000 units of softgel vitamin D daily.

I am possible MS - I was reading that too much vitamin D can cause many of the symptoms that I currently have (they aren't from the vit D since I just started taking it).

My question is:  Are others on high dose of vitamin D - and if so, why did your doc put you on it?  How long have you been taking it,and does it seem to be helping?  Does your doc monitor it?  

Thanks!
Wiggles,

I am on vitamin D 6000 units a day, have been on it for a few weeks now. It is helping a bit with the fatigue.

If you think about it, you spend time in the sun on a reular basis you are absorbinh more than 4000 units a day anyway and with winter time coming none of us get enough so maybe that is why he put you on it.

Has he done blood work to see if your levels are low? Mine are at 10 and that is real low. Did he give a reason for putting you on it? Just curious, but I am sure he has his reasons.

Not sure if I helped much with your question since I haven't been on the vitamins for too long but I am sure it can't really hurt alot.

Paula
There are people here who are taking 50,000 units a week, under a doctor's supervision.

The key is knowing what your level is now, taking supplements, and monitoring your levels frequently.

I take about 2500 units a day, even though my D is pretty good. My MS neuro told me they want my numbers to be in the 50s, and last time I was just below that. Medical science is re-thinking desireable D levels, considerably upward. Apparently MSers need to go even higher.

Just make sure you and your doctor are on the same page, and find out what your goal level is.

ess
I think it is a very good thing.  The absence of these vitamins can create many symptoms, vitamin D is a deficiency that nearly everyone has now.  They believe that it is caused by the decades of those of us that use sun screen.  

I take 50,000 units of D once per week.  It is a prescription, I also give myself injections of B12.  

A majority of people with MS have both B12 and D deficiencies.  

take care,   Red
My Doctor did not put me on Vitamin D because they checked my blood level and they were high enough 66. Neither do I have a vitamin B12 deficiencny.Vitamin D and B12 do nothing for treating MS. It may help your over all health. It is thought that it may be a contributor to getting MS but once you get MS taking Vitamin D does nothing for the treatment of MS. I just heard a talk by an MS Specialist on this topic. She said people with MS would be improving on Vitamin D if Vitamin D helped. They are seeing no difference.

Alex

I don't think it is used to treat MS.  But because those with MS have low counts of Vitamin D, they are at risk for brittle bones and osteoporosis.  It's just a prevention thingy.....
I don't understand why they make such a big deal about this, it doesn't cause MS so why do they look into it so often?

Red
Hey there,

If you looked up all the reseach and suspected conditions connected to VIT D, your head would spin. I found a site that has a few good bits of information, this is a little exerp from the site http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/

"Technically not a "vitamin," vitamin D is in a class by itself. Its metabolic product, calcitriol, is actually a secosteroid hormone that is the key that unlocks binding sites on the human genome. The human genome contains more than 2,700 binding sites for calcitriol; those binding sites are near genes involved in virtually every known major disease of humans.

Current research has implicated vitamin D deficiency as a major factor in the pathology of at least 17 varieties of cancer as well as heart disease, stroke, hypertension, autoimmune diseases, diabetes, depression, chronic pain, osteoarthritis, osteoporosis, muscle weakness, muscle wasting, birth defects, periodontal disease, and more."

VIT D seems to be in the news (here) a lot in recent times.

Cheers...........JJ

I too was on Vit D softgels 50K units, one per day for 6 wks, then re-testing my levels regularly.  I may not know about all the pros and cons of Vit D...but I know that without it I cannot function day to day when my levels get low.
Fatigue kept me in the bed -Vit D, got me up and moving again. Anything that keeps me moving is a big plus to me and my MS.
Stay well......Spuk
I take 4000 units a day. My Vit D level was at 41 but my Dr and my MS Dr agreed that because I have MS, I should increase my Vit D. I can't say that I necessarily feel any different, but I will do just about anything to maintain good health.

Good Luck!!
Kristi
hi  well i dont know -i do know vitd3 with calcium helped me a BUNCH!  stronger-i felt better and i take 14000 ius a day for over a year- well it helped me- but if i hadnt who knows- might be alot worse off-  i checked side effects- they were not bad- headache was one-if you take to much.. maybe i didnt get what i should of growing up- dont know you talk bout chaos and dramma with 7 kids!!   so my family didnt have much, so- who knows-
not right things to eat and all. well just my 2 cents-  is there a diff. in this 50000 vit.d and what im doing??
The only difference I see is that you are taking about double the amount per week than I am.  Your amount comes to 98,000 per week.  I'm sure your doctor knows what you need and how much.  I am glad for you that you feel it has really helped you and like you said, perhaps you would be in worse condition it you hadn't taken it.  Perhaps only time will tell.  The fact that you have done it for a year could have made a difference too!

I would think that you got enough Sun there where you live too.   Perhaps there is more to it than just the sunshine.  

Red
Thanks for all your responses everyone.  I appreciate it!  Hope everyone feel well!