Multiple Sclerosis Community
7T MRI

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

7T MRI

I came across a Web page that describes 7T MRI magnets and their use in diagnosing MS. I didn't know such things existed. The site is the Science Daily, which has lots of very interesting related articles.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/05/070504121140.htm

ess
It seems there are even 12T magnets, including one at NIH. I haven't found that the 7s and 12s are being used for anything but research at this point.

ess
At UCSF (san fransisco)  they have a 7 telsa...   not just for research.. but for regular stuff too........I hadnt heard of that either til I went to UCSF MS center..
Roxanne
How interesting. Did you get an MRI with this machine and did it show things that previous ones did not? What is your MRI history?

Thanks a bunch.

ess
No, I didnt get my MRI done there.. its about 4 hours drive... and I have no family here to help with my kids.. so I had to use the 3Telsa local....  My MRI history  lol   1999 lesion on brain stem  and lesion on T10-11..... dx with MS in 2000... been on different shots since then.. last being Rebif... 2001 another MRI done no lesion on brain.. not even the first one that was there.....MRI's brain and spine off/on til now.....I moved from a different state.. had to get different doctor... did MRI brain  since no lesions were shown,  not sure if I have MS nor did I EVER have MS!   SO.... needlesstosay, I'm in limbo land again!!!!!!!  I had my spine MRI few weeks ago.. lesion that was there in 1999.. not there now!...  thats the jist of my MRI history...
You doing ok today?
Take care
Roxanne
The hospital that we conduct our research out of is getting a 7T.  That's where I go to have my imaging done.  I fill out all the paperwork for our research, and had to make sure our cancer patients could get MRIs on certain types of machines, and they told me they're getting a 7.

I want to be their first victim, as my lesions are so shy, no one has seen them yet (?). Sob.

Z*
Sorry, I hit the wrong button,(duh)

Roxie, do they give any explanation as to why you had lesions then and now you don't.  If not I wonder if Quix might be able to fill us in on how this happens.  I know with my last MRI I still had my big lesion in the spine but there was only 1 very small one in the brain that they thought was a lesion but still wasn't sure.  So, I've had a lesion disappear too.

I'll be praying,
Carol
UCSF doc says that its a possibility that wrong name was on chart!!!!!  Or maybe I had an infection and went away.... I think he was just fishing for an answer.. instead of saying.. Ya know, I'm really not sure......he just blabbed something out... who knows.. i sure dont.   Quix had talked about this before.. saying it could reasorbe back into the body... I had asked the doctors if its poss that they are gone because Ive been taking some type of injection for 7 years  and it hasnt gotten worse..??? and not active?? All the docs say "its unheard of"..........so...I'm back in limboland... again!!!
take care
Roxanne
Yes, they can reabsorb and then come back again.  The contrast is useful to determine if a lesion is new.  Also, if it was present without contrast (meaning an older lesion) and went away and then came back enhanced that would indicate that it was from recent inflammation going on in the vicinity.  Hope this helps.