Multiple Sclerosis Community
A visit to the Neurologist today

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

A visit to the Neurologist today

Hi all,  I had my first visit with my Neurologist, since back last May, 2010, even though it should have been sooner.

I told him, and showed him the tremors I was having, and he gave me a Rx for Gabapentin (generic for some other drug), 300 mg, to be taken once, at bedtime, so I will be taking it for the 1st time, tonight.

He checked my reflexes, walking, standing still, touching my nose (like a sobriety test), etc.

He wanted to schedule a new MRI, since the last one I had was back in November 2009, but I had to remind him, that at this time, I have no medical / health insurance, and wouldn't until January, 2012.

Thank God, the Rx he gave me today, came in generic form, so it was $17.37 for 30 pills, a months supply.
The other two Rx, he currently has me taking (Rebif and Ampyra, the companies that provide me with them, provide them for no cost to me).

I know, he wants to be able to do more, for me, but w/o medical / health insurance, his hands are tied, as are mine.

I can say, that I was blessed, in that he actually seemed to listen to me more this time, than any other, so far, which does help, if you know what I mean.

[Note:  My wife and I both, are on SSD, she has Medicare coverage, I currently do not.  I will not qualify for it, until January, 2012.  We did look into Medicaid, to see if we qualify for it, to see if it would help me.  The answer was good and bad.  Yes, we do qualify for Medicaid, and both do have a Medical card (i.e. Medicaid card), that's the "good".  However, Medicaid, has what it calls a "medical spend down", you have to spend "out of your pocket" a specific amount on your medical costs (Dr visits, Rx's, medical procedures, etc.), every six months, after you have spent "out of your pocket", that amount, then and only then, Medicaid will step in, and help you pay your medical costs, that's the "bad".  In my wife's and my case, we have to first "spend down" $5,676.00 "out of our pocket" on medical expenses, before July, then once we spend it ($5,676.00), then Medicaid will pay any additional costs, until July.  Then in July, we again must "spend down" another $5,676.00 "out of our pocket", before December, then once we spend it ($5,676.00), then Medicaid will pay any additional costs, until December]

I'm going to look, online, for MS places that may help (i.e. pay) for needed medical tests to be performed, like MRI's and blood work, etc.  It's a long ways to January (2012), and I'm looking forward to Spring and Summer, so I'm by no means in a hurry for the year to blow by, just so I can get medical / health care coverage.

Take care and God bless, each and everyone of you, your family, and your friends.

-- Socrates2k1
Yup, the horrible 'donut hole' that makes life very difficult for those people with Medicaid.  I'm not sure how you're supposed to find $10,000 to pay your medical bills when you're on disability.  

It sounds like you're in good hands - and aside from medications, there ain't really much to do when you have MS!  I mean you can get more MRIs and tests done, but it's all about what you can afford.

I recently opted to go to an MS specialist, just because I wanted to get the best possible care for my MS.  The immunological guy ran a bunch of tests on my blood, and his bill was $984!  That's a lot of money.  I'm sure he's worth it - there were a lot of things in the list.  But that's something that I hadn't planned on when I decided to go to the specialist... if you know what I mean.
Very true, our SSD combined, for the entire year will be $22,390.

So, they expect $11,352, to be spent on medical care, that's only 50% of our total income.

Which means, we would basically have to spend our entire income, on medical costs, from January through March, then from July through September, before Medicaid would help pay any additional medical costs, between April through June and October through December.
In the mean time, have no money to spend on anything else, like food.
I would like to know what idiots came up with this program, because it sure sounds completely, worthless, to me.

-- Socrates2k1
The medical system is so broken. This why I am going to the NC Legislature all the time and am going to Capitol Hill in March.

Alex
Alex,

I wish I could say, I'm going with you, but I will be with you, in spirit, may God bless you, on your quest.

Take care and God bless,

-- Socrates2k1
Go, Alex!