Multiple Sclerosis Community
AFO for foot drop

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

AFO for foot drop

Hello all.  Quick question...Does anyone here experience foot drop and use and an AFO?  If so, how do you like it?  Is it custom-made or a stock one?  I got a stock one from the doctor a few weeks ago to try and I hate it!  He said he can get me fitted for a custom one and I didn't want to fork over the money for it, but I think I might.  I just don't know if it will be any better and if it will be worth it.

Thoughts?
  • Foot drop (3 replies):
    When I first stand up and (no matter how long i have bee...[more]
  • Drop foot (3 replies):
    My husband has had drop foot for 5 yrs and recently has ...[more]
  • foot drop
    Is there anyone out there that has had foot drop after h...[more]
  • Foot Drop (24 replies):
    Hi, So...I went to PT on Fri of this week and she menti...[more]
  • Foot Drop (1 replies):
    It has been 2 plus years since I have had GBS. I am pret...[more]
I don't have one but many people here do wear an AFO.  If it is not a financial strain, I would get the custom made one and see if it helps.

good luck,
L
I have had a custom made AFO for foot drop about 12 yrs ago. I had Guillaine Barre and paralyzed from waist down and laid in hospital bed for months which caused the foot drop.  I hated it also.  It dug into my foot..it wasnt comfortable at all.  Did it help? yes  but it was not fun to wear. Maybe they have improved them since then?   Hope all goes well which ever decision you make.  

Take care,
Tammy
Hi Sarah,

One of our members 'michelleric' wears an AFO, perhaps you could send her a note if she doesn't see this post.

Ren
Hi Sarah,
I also have really bad foot drop, I have never worn am AFO because I had always heard they were very uncomfortable. I just began using a Walkaide.
It really seems to help the foot drop. Unfortunately it is very expensive & has been denied by my insurance.
Good luck to you!
Deb :)
I have foot also and was given a plastic ankle and foot brace with gel inside but, since I'm not able to walk it has helped me.  But, yes it was a pain in the butt to wear but, it gave a lot of support.  

It you decide to get a custum one made maybe suggestion the kind of material that you want to use.  That should help.  It's would be worth the money as long as its comportable to wear.

Take care.....  I hope it works out good for you
Misty
Sorry, I need to correct somethings........  Lol

I have foot drop also but, it hasn't help me with it.  And, can be very uncomfortable.....   Sorry, about the spelling my hands r shaking today.

Misty
Hey Sarah

I wear an AFO and while it is not the greatest but the custom one is much better than the stock one -  The stock one dug into my arch and ankle so badly it was horrible - the custom one after some adjustments is better but I still hip hike some -  PT is working on that.  My biggest problem is while I have had the foot drop for a long time "they" the doctors thought that it was a torn tendon not anything neurological so it was pretty much ignored hence my right leg has gotten weaker -  so hopefully PT will help strengthen it and then the AFO can work better -  biggest issue is shoes!

Let me know how it goes.
I wear a custom made Titanium AFO.  I have a love/hate relationship with it.

I love that I can walk better and longer distances with it.  I hated how it looks, but I have adjusted  very much since I got it, about 2 years ago, I think.

For me, it is a wonderful to have this assistance.

I was told to stay away from the plastic AFO, as they are not comfortable and too rigid.

The Titanium is much much better material, but unfortunately much more expensive.

Michelle
I am a foot drop sufferer. I have been a long-distance runner for years, and after a spinal injury, I was left with nerve damage resulting in permanent foot drop. I have tried every AFO, excercise, treatment, etc. that my orthotist could think of. I finally had to seek out answers on my own. (For the full version of my story if you have more interest, this is truly the nutshell version - http://****.blogspot.com/).  I didn't want a bulky, sometimes painful AFO.

I was contacted by a company that had me try something completely different - the ToeOFF brace. It's much different than a traditional AFO. I have actually returned to marathon running!  It is my goal to tell as many people about ToeOFF as possible.  While we know that foot drop will never go away (at least not for me), it has brought me some happiness in being able to return to pre-foot drop activities.

Hope this helps.