Multiple Sclerosis Community
ANS vs CNS MS?? Im lost!

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

ANS vs CNS MS?? Im lost!

I am being told I may have ANS involvement with my MS. ANS = autonomic nervous system. Most MS affects the CNS or Central Nervous station.  

ANS= heart rate, BP, stomach movements, breathing...
CNS=movements, things controlled by the spine.

I recently spent about a month in the hospital with gastroparesis or a frozen stomach. it simply refused to work. ontop of that my BP and heart rate had minds of their own. I would race from 150/100 and drop to 90/60 within a few mintues and me laying in bed. My heart rate would jump from 60 to 120 without me moving. My stomach would take 12 hours to move water from my tummy to my small intestine! I was unable to keep water down, and required a central line for parenteral (complete) nutrition thru an IV line.

If anyone else has had this, I would love to connect, and chat. Im scared! They are going to be testing my autonomic systems in July.

Sorry that you have been having such health issues!  I can relate!
I too have Gastroparesis and dx w/ Autonomic Dysfunction (Dysautonomia).
I have NCS (NeuroCardioGenic Syncope). No Fun!  In fact, I have just today been givin yet another med to try and help control my NCS to some extent.  I can tell you.....Just like MS, AD is also NO FRIEND of the heat!!!

Yes, Please come over to the Dysautonomia Forum here on medHelp.
Have you had a tilt Table Test as of yet?  And, what doctor are you seeing?
A Regular Cardiologist or an Electrophysiologist?  An EP will be your best bet in dx'ing an AD.

I will see you over on the AD Forum....we also have health Pages there for a wealth of info there as well.

~Tonya
wow, I'm so sorry to hear what you are going through, it sounds really frightening.  Hopefully our resident doctor or others will be able to help.  I don't have a clue about what that means.  take care
Please check out the dysautonomia forum right here on medhelp!  
http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Dysautonomia-Autonomic-Dysfunction/show/266
tonya will see this soon and i know she will be able to help you.....she has had similar issues with her B/P and HR.
I just want to clarify the nervous system breakdown.

The nervous system is initially broken into 2 categories: The central nervous system (CNS) and the peripheral nervous system (PNS).  

The CNS can then be broken down into the autonomic and somatic nervous systems.  The somatic nervous system connects to cutaneous (skin) and musculoskeletal structures. The autonomic nervous system connects with viscera (organs) and special senses (taste, vision, auditory, vestibular, olfactory).

The simplistic way to think about it is that the automatic nervous system are things that happen without you having to do anything.  So the ANS is a part of the CNS.

I hope that helps with the background.
Central nervous system (CNS): The central nervous system is that part of the nervous system that consists of the brain and spinal cord.

The central nervous system (CNS) is one of the two major divisions of the nervous system. The other is the peripheral nervous system (PNS) which is outside the brain and spinal cord.

The peripheral nervous system (PNS) connects the central nervous system (CNS) to sensory organs (such as the eye and ear), other organs of the body, muscles, blood vessels and glands. The peripheral nerves include the 12 cranial nerves, the spinal nerves and roots, and what are called the autonomic nerves that are concerned specifically with the regulation of the heart muscle, the muscles in blood vessel walls, and glands.

http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=2667

Hi, Have we talked before?  If not welcome!

I put a little note in my post today about my neuro's experience with the Autonomic Nervous System and MS.  I would love to talk more, but my back is spasming and I can't sit any longer. see:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Multiple-Sclerosis/Sail-Away--Sail-Away/show/1250255

Quix, MD

~Tonya

Actually when dealing with an AD you have to go even a step further than what was mentioned Above..........Let me explain:

The autonomic nervous system controls involuntary muscles, such as smooth and cardiac muscle. This system is also called the involuntary nervous system. The autonomic nervous system can FURTHER be DIVIDED  into the PARASYMPATHETIC and SYMPATHETIC divisions!!

These are important when dealing w/ AD Disorders and to help understand them!
The parasympathetic division controls various functions which include inhibiting heart rate, constricting pupils, and contracting the bladder. The nerves of the Sympathetic division often have an OPPOSITE effect when they are located within the same organs as Parasympathetic nerves. Nerves of the Sympathetic division speed up heart rate, dilate pupils, and relax the bladder. The sympathetic system is also involved in the flight or fight response. This is a response to potential danger that results in accelerated heart rate and an increase in metabolic rate.

Hope that helps to clear things up a bit more and makes it a bit more undrstandable for you.

~Tonya
here is the link to the site tonya is talking about

and here is a link within that site about gastroparesis
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Dysautonomia-Autonomic-Dysfunction/Gastroparesis/show/1108422

please let us know how you are doing
Thank you! it really does help to know I am not alone in this fight. its bad enough to have MS, but now this!

I have not had any tests done yet, but am scheduled for a 2 hour test in July that includes EMG, tilt table and so on. My GP is getting some better, but DANG! that was rough to spend a month in the hospital tied to a central line unable to eat.

I will go to the AD section. Thanks for all the love!

Thanks, DaisyGirl  ;)

~Tonya