Multiple Sclerosis Community
AP article on CCSVI
About This Community:

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

AP article on CCSVI

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010/03/22/health/AP-US-MED-HealthBeat-MS-Bad-Veins.html

Notes the tremendous interest: "In Buffalo, N.Y., more than 1,000 people applied for 30 slots in a soon-to-start study of that same angioplasty procedure. When the University at Buffalo team started a larger study a few months ago just to compare if bad veins are more common in MS patients than in healthy people -- not to treat them -- more than 13,000 patients applied."

Also discusses a small trial at Georgetown using angioplasty and gives a bit of one of the neuro's take on it:

"Like many neurologists, Georgetown's Tornatore watched the developments with a mixture of skepticism and curiosity. After all, decades ago some doctors first suggested circulation might play a role. The scars tend to cluster near veins, and blood-thinning treatment was tried before immune-targeting drugs were proven to help many MS patients.

"He ticks off the possibilities: This could be a blind alley, like so many to befall MS over the years. Or it could work a little. Or it might be revolutionary."

'''I have no idea. I'm not predisposed to any of them,'' Tornatore says.

"But he and Neville decided angioplasty was the least risky option for a limited test. In 30 patients who've undergone a $400 ultrasound exam so far, about half have evidence of the vein abnormality."

One of their patients is quoted talking about the immediate improvement to her cold feet after balloon angioplasty, which was also my experience.

sho