Multiple Sclerosis Community
ARM WEAKNESS/HEAVINESS

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

ARM WEAKNESS/HEAVINESS

Me again!!  Hope your not sick of me yet!!
I experience terrible weakness in both my arms.  It is so distressing and literally comes on very sudden.  Like tonight I was fine.. sitting on the floor playing with me kids... got up did some laundry... came down stairs and just like that I noticed my legs and arms were both really weak and shaky.  Much more in my arms though.  I sat down to eat and I felt I could barely lift my fork and it was shaking.  My husband asked if I had low blood sugar.  I said I didn't think so cause I'd been snacking all day.  I was also kind of dizzy.  Well anyways I felt so weak I had to get up and go lay down.  Very scary when this happens cause it seems to come on so sudden.   I've layed on the couch for a bout an hour and am still feeling weak, but a bit better.  I also got this same arm weakness about 2 weaks ago again out of the blue.  I feel like I can't even lift my arms up.  Last time it lasted for it seems a whole day then goes away.  I also notice weakness and my arms get really fatigued easily by holding heavy things such as my 2 year old daughter.  If I hold her for a long time my arms get really shaky.
  Can't figure it out!!  It is a sucky feeling though.  Does anyone else get this kind of weakness? It is always in both arms at the same time.  Also both legs.
Thanks.
Yes, I experience the weakness although it is in my legs.  But for me it is constant.  I discribe it as the feeling you get when you try to walk quickly in hip deep water.  Resistance and pressure that makes it difficult to walk.  Going down stairs my legs shake and feel like jello.  
My understanding is that this is a fairly common symptom, but you should report it so that other diseases can be ruled out.
Good Luck,
Sally
Pardon the spelling I forgot to do a spell check.  (spell check has made me lazy!)
Sally
thanks.
Hi I don't know if you and I have ever talked before even though you have been here much longer than me.  I am also do not know if you have a formal dx.

However, I do not have a dx of MS only of demyelinating disease.  Ihave the same issues you describe although my right side is more impaired than my left but my left is weaker.  Isn't that a hoot :)

I take physical therapy and have been for the last 3 or 4 months (brain blink can't remember when I started).  They have taught me exercises to help me build up my core muscles.  It has been a long hard road but I have made improvement.

Have you ever considered Physical therapy?

terry
Yes, I recently experienced the same type of arm weakness in my right arm.  Usually all my weakness is in my legs, but one afternoon I was just sitting when my right arm felt very tingly and then very strangely weak.  It remained weak for days, going all the way to my wrist and hand.  Today it feels a little better, but still weaker than the left arm.  I'm not used to this and I don't like it - being right-handed.

I'm a limbolander.

Weakandfalling

Thanks for the comments!  I just wanted to clarify that I don't have impaired use or grasp in my arms.  I can hold things fine and grasp things.  I don't drop things either.. it's just they feel SOOO  heavy and shaky.  I am undx'd too and have had NORMAL MRI's and Tests.    Frustrating!
Yes I also experience this exact same thing.  My forearm area seems to be most affected with the left arm being slightly worse and my legs get slightly weak.  Everytime I mention this to people I get told the same thing, "well why don't you start working out".  I have to quickly explain that it is a different kind of weakness, more like just an extreme fatigue through my arms and legs and it is just such an effort to pick things up, etc.  I have had an MRI on my brain which showed one nonspecific 5mm ovoid lesion in the peri-atrial region.  I then had an MRI done on my c-spine and t-spine this past thursday and am awaiting results.  
Exact same thing happens to me. ALWAYS both arms, ALWAYS unexpected.

What happens: a strange 'weakness' and heaviness washes down my arms for about a minute. After that my hands experience tremors - think of not being able to hold a pen properly to print or not being able to control your fingers to type correctly. The tremor lasts probably 4 or 5 minutes and then everything is back to normal.

I'm 43, postmenopausal for 5 years and have had these episodes since peri-menopause, so they began about 7 years ago. Doesn't matter what I am doing at the time (rest or exercising) and there's no regularity - could go weeks without and then have 2 episodes in a week.

So, what the heck is this?

Have you been to a neurologist about this problem?  It could be several things that would cause numbness and weakness in your arms.  
my arms have gotten weaker in general, but never had that heavy feeling like my legs do at times, until today.  I just posted a vent  about it before i read posts.  guess that might teach me to read first.  then again i learn slowly.  the heaviness in my legs is usually in one or the other at a time and lasts months. hope that's not true of arms.

hope you find an answer. that really has to feel terrible.

TG
Not once.  Although I am concerned while it happens, afterward all is normal and I just get past it...What sort of things can I look for, because quite frankly, if I feel normal, I'm sure that a physician would just furrow his brow and not see anything. If I could catch it while it was happening, maybe, but they are so brief.
Hi. This is my first time on medhelp and I see a lot of people talking about the same thing. I have been having similar problems for about 4 years now. I get a warmth sensation in my chest, along with some pressure, that radiates up into my shoulders and down both arms. My arms than become weak and heavy and I am unable to do much with them but let them hang there till the episode is over. The last time this occurred I happened to be texting and my right hand started jerking especially my thumb. I do have some back problems including spinal stenosis, sciatica, and some other various disc problems, but they are all below the thoracic discs so I don't believe they would be causing the problem. I also have what is called Exploding Head Syndrome, yes it does exist, and was dx with Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue. I don't think it has to do with any of them though. So if you or anyone else has any ideas please post. I've been to a neurologist, by the way, and will be seeing a different one this month so if I get any answers I'll post them. I do have to say I'm afraid of MS since these symptoms are close to what they call the MS hug.