Multiple Sclerosis Community
Acid reflux/Barrett's Esophagus, esophageal spasms and MS?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Hi Everyone,
I am new here to the forums and I have seen some posts here about various upper GI issues and I am curious how many of you have these problems?  I have over the last year been been diagnosed with acid reflux, barrett's esophagus (no dysplasia), esophageal spasms and hypersensitive esophagus.  It all seemed to come on all at once back in July 2007 and prior to that I hadn't had any problems with my GI tract.  I had the occasional heartburn, but nothing that required a doctor visit. I am not Dx'd with MS - but have a lot of symptoms that could be MS.  I have wondered all along if my GI problems are related to the numbness/tingling and other possible MS symptoms that I have been experiencing for the last 2 years.

If anyone would like to share their wisdom, I would appreciate it!
Thanks,
Chrisy
I get acid reflux etc, in limbo land with MS dx....some say gut issues aren't MS related, but some sites say they are. I know my reflux comes and goes, i'll have months with nothing then out of the blue it starts for a few weeks then goes again.  

Sorry I'm of no help, but I DO know how you feel.........
I have acid reflux and esophageal spasms also.
The spasms were diagnosed in 2007 after an endoscopy but the reflux has been a long standing condition.
I take medication for the reflux but every now and again, even with the medication, I get terrible reflux which has pain similar to heart problems. In the middle of my chest type pain. I have had extensive workups on my heart and it is in good condition so generally I don't panic that it is a heart attack. The pain even radiates into my right shoulder. I don't feel like eating, my stomach gurgles away but I'm not hungry.

In fact I have been wiped out with this for the past 2 days and I feel really weak and tired. My legs are really painful and burning and all I want to do is sleep.

I am undiagnosed but my symptoms are similar to JemmAus.

Some of our more knowledgeable members like Quix would be more informed than me as to whether this can be MS related, but seeing that everything is connected to that brain I guess it must be at least possible.

TB
I sure hope there is someone out here that can help with your question because I have a similar scenario with one BIG exception.... I had a heart attack in January caused by a spasm, which I now suspect may have been linked to the lesions in my cervical spine.  My total discomfort for this event was in my throat.  I found antidotal evidence in a professional peer reviewed journal documenting two cases of exactly this same scenario of MS patients, spasms and HA's.  

I too was checked thoroughly for all things digestive, and they diagnosed me with GERDs, esophogeal spasm, decreased motility in my esophagus and Stage 1 Barretts.  I didn't even know I had a problem :-).After three months of treatment with Prevacid, I have been off that med for two months and have experienced no problems.

I strongly doubt the accuracy of the digestive dx's even though I love my GI doc and his staff.  Instinctively I think they are all linked to my MS but I sure can't prove it. sometimes I get this pulsing knot or lump in my throat that feels like I can't swallow- fortunately it doesn't last long but does make me uncomfortable. I suspect that is my spasm acting up.

So even though I can't say you are positively right in your thinking, I would urge you to keep track of those symptoms and see if you can find a pattern that fits with you other symptoms.

Be well,
Lulu

Hi, Goofy!

Phew!  Don't get me started on esophageal spasms.  They started about seven years ago, when I was having all the problems with my back and left leg.  This was long before I was diagnosed.  Intense gripping pain right behind my sternum, which was relieved with a warm glass of water, drunk slowly.  I also started having the worst heartburn.  Nothing seemed to fix it, except to eat very boring, bland foods like rice or chicken.  Even beans would cause a problem.  

Post-diagnosis, I have esophageal spasms, acid reflux, swallowing problems, spasms in my neck muscles (especially the ones under my jaw, around my adam's apple) and the occasional sore throat.  It's not all the time - they come and go, like my other symptoms.

I really think they're connected - if you can have a weak arm muscle, you can have a weak diaphragm, and the diaphragm is responsible for closing that sphincter at the top of the stomach.  With it all loose and flappy, acid shoots up into my throat, making my throat sore, and even going into my lungs a little bit, making me feel as if I've inhaled toxic fumes.  (Which I guess I have!)

The diaphragm is also in charge of moving things 'down there,' if you know what I mean... and for a few awful days last week nothing was moving.  Yuck.  Nothing worse than having to go and... no go.  I could wrap my arms around my stomach and squeeze, and it would help a little, but not much.  

And this may be TMI (if it isn't already!) but the slower things go through the colon, the more water is absorbed.  And you know what that means.  So I recommend everybody that has acid reflux drink lots and lots of water.  And keep up with their prunes.  You'll thank me later.
here's one MS site that has info on reflux etc.....lets hope the built in censor in this forum  lets me post the link - just add the w w w . yourself

mult-sclerosis.org/gastroesophagealreflux.html
Thank you!  Thank you for your replies!  I feel a sense of relief (?) knowing that this might all be related somehow..

Lulu - you are so right about keeping track of symptoms!  I sure hope your heart is okay.  That must have been very scary for you!   I have had a cardio work-up & my heart is totally healthy, but I will admit that even though I know the spasms are not a heart attack - sometimes it still scares me!  

I have done that from the very beginning of my GI problems - just because my primary symptom was chest pain and it was hard to figure what was causing it.  So after many medications - we figured out what was causing my pain.  I take prilosec twice a day for the reflux and Cardizem LA once a day for the spasms.  The spasms are mostly under control - certain foods can set them off - which can mean 2 or 3 days of bad bad times...

JemmAus - great link!  Thank you!

TrueBlue - boy do your symptoms sound familiar...I know how it can wipe you out.  I have been dealing with a bout of the spasms for the last 3 days.  I know how you feel.

Thanks again to all who replied - it means so much!  :)

Chrisy