Advice
Hi, Just wondering if anyone could answer this hopefully simple question.

2 years ago I was diagnosed with Cervical Myelitis (no lesions on the brain etc) and now I have been diagnosed with MS (with lesions on the brain). My question is could the cervical myelitis have caused the onset of MS?

Maverick682
Good question Maverick.  I don't know.  But, taking the opportunity to say hello, and welcome you.  

I'm sure you will meet many of us soon.

Hope you are in good care w/your Dr. And, considering treatment now that you know.

See you around!
I'm here to offer a big welcome to the forum also.  I hope you can find everything you want and wonder here.  We are becoming a large group, but still retain that hometown atmosphere, lol.

Sorry about your diagnosis.  The answer to your question is No, the cervical myelitis did not cause the MS.  What happened is that the cervical myelitis was just a stop on the way to the diagnosis of MS.  When you had the cervical myelitis you already really had MS, but all the puzzle pieces weren't in place yet to make the full diagnosis.  So, they diangosed what they knew you had.

Myelitis of any part of the spine is often seen in multiple sclerosis.  The majority of people with MS have lesions both in the brain AND in the spine, but the lesions don't always show up in both places at once.  When they show up just in the spine, it may look like the patient just has a Myelitis.  

Myelitis can be a disorder on it's own, so it is a legitimate diagnosis.  But, later if all the signs of MS finally show up, we know that the myelitis was just the first sign of the MS.  Does that make sense?

Has your doctor talked to you about beginning some therapy?

If you need more info about MS this is a great place to hang out.  We have dozens of experienced members and we are willing to discuss everything.  We also have a lot of articles and essays that different members of the forum have written on all different aspects of the disease and its diagnosis.  These are called Health Pages.  You will see the link for them in the upper right part of the page.

I hope you settle in and tell us your story.

Quix