Multiple Sclerosis Community
Alcohol and ms symptoms

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Alcohol and ms symptoms

I am curious for those of you diagnosed if you drink alcohol and if you do how it affects your symptoms? I have no diagnosis and have been told that my finger tingling is stress. I am not taking anything for it. Recently I have noticed that after I have one or two glasses of wine when I am being social with friends and family the tingling stops. Is this typical for a CNS symptom or just anxiety?
I have a friend with MS who drinks on a regular basis, always has, and it doesn't seem to change his symptoms one way or another.

Alcohol alone would not delete MS s/s, that would be way too easy!
Check with your doctor..........its often a very long road to Dx
I am diagnosed with MS.  I used to drink but haven't had more than a sip here and there for several years.  I'm taking too many drugs that could react with alcohol to take a chance on drinking more than that.

I enjoy the taste of a few alcoholic beverages but I satisfy myself with the occasional sip since alcohol causes so many of the MS type symptoms I work hard to eliminate.  I guess people who are never dizzy or tingly or uncoordinated or weak-legged get a thrill out of temporary disability.  It's not for me.

If your symptoms go away with alcohol it might be anxiety.  Or it could be that the social aspect of being out with friends/family is distracting you from the unpleasant sensations.  Would you describe yourself as anxious or did your doctor suggest this on his own?  

You might try learning some relaxation or meditation exercises mixed with regular light exercise.  Yoga is a perfect blend.  That type of relief would be longer lasting than alcoholic relief once you establish a pattern and lifestyle that includes it.

On the other hand, the more you drink the better chance you have of lowering your B12 levels.  Did your doc do blood work to check that?  Low B12 levels can cause tingling too and it's an easy fix if that's your problem.

If it continues please return to your physician and insist on further diagnostic testing, treatment or referral for evaluation.  Self medicating with alcohol is seldom a good substitute for accurate medical treatment and is never recommended as a long-term solution.

As a good tasting and relaxing beverage for recreational use or when adding a dinner wine for a happy palate and heart health > > enjoy :)
It's just not a treatment unless the doctor orders it (and they sometimes do).

Cheers!
Mary
Thank you for your answers to my questions. Sorry if there was confusion...I am NOT self-medicating!! I just realized that the nights that I have a glass or two of wine, I don't feel the tingling in my hands. So, my question is, for those of you who had tingling sensations or any other sensory symptoms due to MS, would they dissipate when you drank alcohol? Or, would you still feel them regardless?

I have no diagnosis. The three neuros that I have seen think that my symptoms are a result of stress and of course, I want to believe them. But, like many on this forum, I have normal stress in my life and it has never resulted in this kind of physical reaction. So, four months of intermittent tingling and numbness in my hands is enough to make me question my health!

Any other thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks so much as I try to look for answers!

jek
Interesting.

I don't really have any sx normally so drinking or not drinking doesn't stop them per se however, since dx w MS I have noticed that the alcohol effects me quickly as far as being able to hold my liquor.

I just feel drunk after only a half a glass of wine. So if I want to be productive or carry on a conversation, I don't drink.

Julie
Hi there,
I am diagnosed with TM (which is similar in some ways to MS) I find alcohol in moderation makes absolutely no difference but if I have a few more drinks it seems to make already poor balance worse and usually the next day I find an increase in my problems but I wonder if it's a migraine affect I get or just that I am tired from my late night, hence worsening my symptoms.  My neuro told me it was okay to drink in moderation (just like anything else) but when I am on lots of different meds I choose not to drink as alcohol increases the effects of the medicine.
My symptoms get worse when I drink, and I take medication that interacts badly with it.  But I drink in moderation - one or two if I'm going to.