Multiple Sclerosis Community
Amazing forum, and questions

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Amazing forum, and questions

I'd like to start off by saying, this is an amazing forum.  It makes me want to add possible symptoms of MS to the list - bravery, empathy, and a chronic sense of humanity.  My husband has health issues, and I know from experience some online support groups aren't as uplifting as this one.

I have not been diagnosed with MS, and hope I won't be.  I would love a diagnosis, so I don't feel so CRAZY, but hope it's not MS.  I'm sure you've all felt the same.

Overall, I'm an extremely healthy person.  Looking back, my only trips to my GP in the past 25 years have been for my CRAZY symptoms, and a broken bone.  I'm a 42 yr old female.  15 years ago, parts of the right side of my body went numb.  Not completely numb, just fuzzy numb, like I was wrapped in several layers of padding.  Like the top couple layers of me were numb, but not the deeper layers.  There were very distinct lines on my body between the numb areas and the OK areas.  That lasted maybe 3 weeks, then just went away.  My GP diagnosed shingles early into the numb, and when it went away with no rash, I just forgot about it.  

About 7 years ago, I had a few days with double vision.  An MRI showed nothing, the double vision went away, and I cancelled a follow up appointment, because I hate doctors, and dread any bad diagnosis they might come up with.  

Last month, I got numb again.  It lasted about three weeks.  Normal feeling returned, but then I noticed mild electric shock feelings in my back (at that point, I thought from bending over.)  Again, refusing to ever admit I'm sick, I didn't go to my doc, but searched the internet for information related to my current and past symptoms.  My GP first had me xrayed for a pinched nerve, with the only results being mild arthritis in my neck and back (I've had no pain with any of my symptoms, just the freaky feeling of WRONG sensations).  GP is now getting an MRI approved by my insurance.  

I guess my questions are:

1.  I had allergies as a child, which I think are also an overactive immune system.  Did anybody here who's been diagnosed with MS have problems with allergies?

2.  Are my symptoms consistent with anybody else's MS progression?  I read about numbness, but my numbness isn't COMPLETE, no feeling.  It's more like outside layers being numb.

3.  Does L'hermitte's Sign ALWAYS present if you have that symptom?  Sometimes when I bend my head, I get nothing, sometimes, mild shock feeling, sometimes more acute?

This forum is great, and I appreciate any info I can get from everyone!

Thanks!

Tracie
Tags: support
Welcome to the cyber family! I'm from PA too - which side are you from? I wish I could answer your questions, but I am not qualified. I just wanted to welcome you and let you know you're in good hands here. You will no tfind a more caring group.

Someone will be along soon, Quix probably, who can answer your questions.

Take care

Penn
Penn,

Thanks for the welcome.  I'm from southcentral PA, but I went to Pitt, so I guess we'd be rivals?  I've been reading other posts, and regarding your friendly coworker:  I believe, give me a physical handicap over an emotional handicap any day.  I'd just pity the girl - anybody that could do something like that obviously lacked love in their childhood.  It's the health of our souls that matters, and that girl's soul isn't healthy.  

I just can't stop reading on here, I'm amazed by the stories and the members.  Great group!

Tracie
No rivals here, lol! ThoughI am a Penn State wild woman! Complete with life-sized JoePa cutout in my office!! Where I work is nearly half and half Pitt and PSU. We harrass each other about it all the time - all in good fun, of course!  I'm in the Pittsburgh area, but in a much more rural area.

This is a great group!

Penn
Okay you Pennyslvania girls....I am also from PA.  Born near the Pocono Mountains,  

Welcome Tracie.  We are so glad that you joined us and found us to be the kind of forum that many others found so true about us......  This is caring, compassion and downright sisterhood and brotherhood on this forum.  We ARE family.  Welcome to our family.

Some of the first symptoms I had was numbness in my right torso.  It was only on the surface of the skin.  I was found to have a lesion in my spine.  Lesions do not always correlate with our symptoms, but usually give doctor's a good idea of the "area" of our problems.

Your symptoms do not sound anything like true progression, but rather relapses and remissions, which is what is common.  The L'Hermittes sign usually relapses and remits, but actually can be caused by things other than MS.   I am told though, that if you have a spinal lesion that continues to cause problems, you can have L'Hermittes on a very continual basis.  

I really do not know about the allergry part of your questions.  Hopefully someone else on the forum can chime in with some advice about that.

AGain, Tracie, we are so glad you joined us...I think you'll like it here...

(((HUGS)))))

Heather
Hi Tracie and welcome! Love the pun on your user name! Too cute!  

I'm not 'official' as in officially diagnosed with anything but diabetes & blood pressure problems, but I am probable MS according to some doctors. Some not. lol  So I can't offer any advice either, but just want to say that its great to have you with us.

I'm in OH, so we know all about rivalries! hehe

Jazzy

Thanks for the welcome, and the information.  Regarding the numbness, it really helps to have a more specific definition of a symptom.  I really wasn't sure if numbness only qualified as numbness if you couldn't feel that body part at all?  Out of curiosity, for a short time, I also had a different numbness in one of my calves.  It was like the only thing I felt was the bone.  I'd wake up in the morning, and feel my leg to be sure there was flesh there. I didn't even mention that to my doctor.  Too crazy.  Ever experienced anything like that?

I don't know what this is, but if it's MS, what a bizarro disease.

Thanks again for the response!

Tracie
Hi and another welcome from this end. Just a couple of comments. I have, and have always had, lots of airborne allergies. I'm going through a siege right now. But this is so common that I doubt anyone has tried to correlate such symptoms with MS.

As to numbness, the body part doesn't have to seem 'dead' or not a part of you to feel numb. Many people compare it to the feeling of Novocain (sp?) wearing off. Tingling is also someplace on the numbness spectrum. You don't need to worry about exact definitions, just how the situation feels to you. The 'peeing on leg' sensation is quite common among folks here. I've not experienced that, and sure don't look forward to it anytime soon!

One thing about MS that makes it so maddening is that it's different for everybody, so no one fits into some clearly defined mold. The central nervous system is a huge and complex place.

ess
Peeing on leg comment:  I am not dx as MS, but a Limbolander.  Once after my lunchtime stroll through the warehouse, I went to the bathroom.  When I stood up, I could have sworn I had done that irritating thing where the TP gets caught up in the equipment and trails toilet water over everything--but no, it was just my tingly-not tinkly thighs.
Holly
Totally adore your name!  Hi, Welcome tothe forum. I would love to comment fully on your whole posting, but have run myself too tired playing around socially.  

As for the definition of numbness.  It is one of those words that means a variety of things.  In it's strictest sense it is a negative signal.  It means the absence of sensation.  You don't feel anything.  But, neurologists know (or should know) that numbness is often a combination of a negative signal or "reduced sensation" coupled with an inappropriate positive signal of "altered sensation" like tingling, or pins & needles, or buzzing or sometmes burning.  Some people just say tingly and numb.  We all understand what you mean.

Quix, MD