Multiple Sclerosis Community
Another Mimic for the List?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Another Mimic for the List?

I'm in limbo land, so I skip from forum to forum. I have an appointment this upcoming week with my neuro, who thinks that I probably have degenerative disc disease. While that may explain some of my symptoms, it does not explain numerous brain lesions and cognitive problems, so I posted on the Neck and Back forum.

I got a reply from a woman who has similar symptoms and was diagnosed with Mitochondrial Disorder. This does effect numerous systems in the body, and can produce symptoms that are consistent with demylinating disease.

MD can be hereditary or it can be a result of toxins.

As I researched this, I decided to add lead poisoning to my search of mitochondria and came up with several positive hits which suggest lead can damage the mitochondria. I had lead poisoning in the early 90's from the burning of toxic materials over a two year period. I was also pregnant and then nursing at the time, which changes the way that the body deals with lead. I did exhibit symptoms of lead poisoning then, falling overboard 3 times, along with chronic fatigue and severe headaches. My current sx started 8+ years ago when I hit early menopause, a time in which hormonal and bone changes are also taking place. This can accelerate the release of lead stored in the hard tissue (bones) into the blood.

Definitely going to mention this to the neuro this coming Friday. It may be a long shot, but I think I would be remiss in ignoring the possibility.
that's an interesting thought - let us know what the neuro says, ok?

I am a friend of a young (not yet 30) female heart patient who just this summer was dx'd with mitochondrial disease - helps to explain why her heart is wasting away.

We have a member in Australia, I Believe it was, who was also dx'd with MD.  

take care, Lulu