Multiple Sclerosis Community
Any symptoms of MS= a flareup?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Any symptoms of MS= a flareup?

I have MS, and have been on the MS Recovery Diet for 2.5 years. I thought I was doing very well; I had minimal symptoms, and almost never even think of myself as sick.

Then, I met a lady (mother of one of my students) who also has MS. She says she NEVER has symptoms, and when she does (slight numbness in her left leg) she immediately checks herself into the hospital for IV steroids. This sounds crazy to me, since I have symptoms every day.

So, my question is, am I just coping? Should I never have symptoms? Is that normal for people who are on meds? Also, should I be going to the hospital for every little symptom that crops up (a headache, a twitch, some parasthesia)?

Any input you have would be very helpful!
Everyone with MS is different. I have had MS since 1965 and I was hospitalized then and never again for Neurological. They did not think toddlers could get MS back then so I was not diagnosed until 2009 with MS. It was my GP who picked up on the MS during a yearly exam in 2007. I never knew I had symptoms of MS. I thought my double vision, vertigo, cognitive, and balance issues were normal. Later I thought my funny gait, slowing, and weakness were do to the construction I did and falls I had from it.

I have never had steroids for MS, I only see my MS Specialist once a year or in this case one year a four months because he had to cancel my appointment. I have only called twice and only went in once between visits. Some people are on steroids over and over.

A flair, exacerbation, or attack usually is symptoms lasting 24 hours straight. Damage from MS can happen with or  without any symptoms. that is why it is important to be on a DMD even with no symptoms.

Their are two things going on in MS inflammation and nerve damage. Inflammation causes symptoms to come and go and that is what steroids work on. Steroids help symptoms they do not stop the disease process. They are helpful when symptoms are bad. Nerve damage can happen with or with out symptoms and it is where the symptoms are permanent.

In my case I have Primary Progressive I do not have flairs, attacks, etc. My damage is nerve damage and permanent. Steroids do not help me.

Also what makes us different is location of inflammation and  nerve damage. MS can go after the optic nerve, brain, or spinal cord. It does not go after every area on every person with MS. MS follows a different path in each person. I have PPMS but my progression is very slow so I do not need much medical care so far.

Diseases of all kinds do not act the same in all people with the same disease.

Alex