Multiple Sclerosis Community
Anyone else have this? I'm feeling insane!!!

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Hi Gang,

Last year, I was in the shower and my back jerked me backward and my body froze in position for a bit.  Since, I have had my leg jump from time to time, but usually very light.  For the last 2 days it has been nuts.  I was laying on the couch last night and all the sudden my left leg kicked out.  I've never had it jolt like that.  It didn't really hurt just felt like a power surge through my leg.  Then, I was laying in bed, just thinking and my whole body jerked.  I have that sometimes right before I fall asleep, but nothing like this.  My foot keeps feeling like it just needs to kick.  

I have a hard time sleeping at night already b/c my left leg is so stiff, feels like my muscles constantly want to contract, then when this happens, I just can't get relief.  It wakes me up about 1-3 times per night.  Anyone else have this?

Also, another bizarre thing happened to me last night.  My eyes have been really dry lately and last night they were killing me.  I went to put eye drops in and after I put eye drops in my eyes, I blinked a few times and my eyes crossed.  Talk about freaky!  Do you ever just feel completely insane?  I'm literally in limboland with tests coming back negative and it seems I'm getting new symptoms more often than not.  

Ideas?
Blessings
Stacie
Hi Stacie,

Doc Quix use to recommend this site: wemove.org and you can look up myoclonic jerks to see if that is what you are experiencing....
I have these same twitches, which are caused by a problem in my parasympathetic nervouse. My condition affects my GI, as well.

I've notices that stretching can help for a little bit, but so far, I haven't really found much that helps.

Talk to your doctor.
Thanks to both of you for responding!  I will be bringing this up with the MS specialist on Wednesday. :)

Blessings
Stacie
That ol' myoclonus!  Yup, it sounds like either myoclonus or restless leg - maybe a little bit of both.

My myoclonus has several different ways of showing up.  I have palatal myoclonus (that annoying tapping in your ear.)  I have action myoclonus in the morning - any movement and the muscles in my legs stiffen.  Then I have to wait for them to relax so I can move.  They also do this tap-tap-tap thing when I try to get up.  Fun.  

The weirdest one, and the one that made me switch to an MS specialist, was the spinal myoclonus.  It's similar to what you describe.  My back will decide to arch (or compress) and it's definitely involuntary.  I get this buzzing sensation in my abdomen, and then FLING! I'm either forward or back.  Sometimes I would get one small one, like a little sneeze, and sometimes there'd be a whole bunch of them.  It was getting worse and worse.  The MS specialist prescribed Keppra for me, which has really helped.  I just had to double my dose, but evidently I'm not even close to the maximum dose.

The problem with the myoclonus thing is that it's a bad signal.  It's caused by damage to the nerves, and that damage sends out bad signals, which get sent by the nerves to the muscles, which we can't blame, really - they're just doing what they're told.  As the bad signal gets sent along, it reinforces ion channels, which strengthen.  Then the next time you get a bad signal, it has an easier time through the nerve, and that ion channel is further reinforced.  So treating myoclonus with levitiracetam (keppra) is a good idea, as it slows the entire degenerative process down.
Hi Jens...

what about when you bend over or try to squat.  I teach little ones and I tried to squat down today to get on a child's level and my left leg muscle was stuck/frozen.  It took a lot of energy to stand up and then my entire left leg was stiff and my gait was off big time.  Has been bothering me since.  Does this sound familiar?  I immediately thought of that when you mentioned movement and getting stiff.

Thanks for your response, I appreciate it.  It's nice to hear other's experiences, makes me feel  not so crazy :)  hee hee.  

Blessings
Stacie
That's a tough one!  That actually sounds a little more like spasticity than myoclonus.  Have you tried to stretch out your leg muscles?
Yes, but the more I stretch the worse it tightens :(  Grrrr...is there every a happy medium? Nah....that would be too easy...

Thanks for your replies!  Blessings
Stacie
Yeah, that happens sometimes - I'll get a tight muscle, and it'll spasm when I try to stretch.  That's when I break out the drugs!