Multiple Sclerosis Community
Anyone ever have a Myelogram here?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Anyone ever have a Myelogram here?

hi,
Has anyone on here had a myelogram and if so can you tell me about how you did with it?  I will be having yet another test soon.

thanks
missy
Yes, I've had one. It's essentially like getting the spinal tap (minus the withdrawn spinal fluid), followed by being strapped into a large machine that tilts you this way and that while they take pictures to see if you've got impingements on CSF flow anywhere (nerve roots, etc.). I assume they're doing yours because you've got cord impingements?

The recovery is just like that from a spinal tap. Also, I opted for the demerol, only because I never have anyone offering me demerol.

Bio
thanks bio,

I pretty much know the procedue but you did pretty well then right??   Yes unfortunately I have cord compression a few levels, but the Neurosurgeon doesnt believe the MRI is correctly presenting if you will the full effect of the T7/8 compression. He states that MRI typically underestimate Thoracic area. I have compression but they believe more than is showing up due to my inability to walk many times, and the severe thoracic pain im now getting.

I had a cervcial flex/extend MRI today and the cord compression is much worse than seen on previous "regular" cervicals, I am REALLY trying to avoid surgery, and its becoming all so complicated.  I will also get a thoracic nerve block soon....

I here you about the demerol, I'll be taking that as well if offered.  It will hopefully help the horrendous headache I will probably be in for as well.

WILL THIS FUN NEVER END PEOPLE!!

missy
M,

Oh dear, another test!!! I had a feeling the compression would be much worse on the flex/extend MRI. Is this why you are being ordered to have this myelogram?

A.
My myelogram was for the same reason, and it actually indicated that the compression wasn't quite as bad as my neuro was thinking. I actually have a t-spine herniation right across from an arachnoid cyst at that spot, so my tspine was getting it from all sides. The cyst is now much smaller.

As far as the procedure, it was fine and I had no problems, but I tend to take these things pretty straightforwardly. There was nothing scary about it. For recovery, all I can say is that I've had my spine tapped three times now in the past year, and I've never had the headache or anything else...so my recoveries have been OK.

Bio
Hi, I just wanted to wish you luck with your test. I had the same thing done a little more than 3 weeks ago. They also did a lp at the same time. I have a diagnosis of probable ms and due to weakness in my arms and previous neck surgery they needed to do a cervical myelogram. I have a plate in my neck and they had to see if it moved and was impinging the spinal cord. I figured while they had the needle in there they might as well take the fluid out and kill 2 birds with 1 stone so to speak! I will tell you that you will feel pressure from the needle. slightly uncomfortable but not painful. My best advice to you would be to lay flat as long as possible the day you have it done and only the next morning try to pick your head up. By then if you don't get the headache you should be fine. you may have a slight backache for a few days but that can be handled by some ibuprofen. Let us know how you do. Again good luck..roncart
Roncart

Thanks alot for the info and advice. Not scheduled yet but soon. How do you lie flat though on the drive home, just put the seat back I guess is the best you can do right?

missy