Anyone have foot pain - soles of feet?
Hi, MSers/Limbolanders,

Does anyone else here have foot pain in soles of feet?  Mine used to be just a burning pain, but now I feel like there is a marble in the center of the sole of my foot (in both feet at different times) - hurts to walk.  I have felt the bottom of my foot and there is a hardness present (not a callus - it's deeper) - about 3" long - either a tendon, a muscle or a bone - but very firm when symptoms occur.  When not symptomatic, I cannot feel it.  There have been times when I felt like a muscle on the bottom of my feet was having major spasms!

Anyone else here feel that hardness near the soles of feet, that walking-on-a-marble type of pain?

WAF

I frequently have plantar fasciitis, which is basically tendonitis in the big flat tendon on the soles that holds everything in the foot together in the right place.  It first developed when I worked in retail, constantly on my feet on a concrete slab floor.  Since then, it seemed to go away, but lately has been back somewhat.  A characteristic, I am told, is that it hurts the most on the first few steps in the morning, or after a long period of sitting, such as a lengthy car trip.
Newlywed PastorDan,

Again, congratulations on your marriage and I wish you and your new wife a wonderful life adventure together!!

Thanks for your comment.  Plantar fasciitis may be what it is.  I was recently on Cipro for a UTI and it can have tendon repercussions for up to a year after stopping it.

Can you actually palpate something hard on the bottom of your foot?  Does it feel like you are walking on a marble?

Incidentally, I just posted some info I found in a medical library for us Limbolanders over age 50 in search of an MS diagnosis.  It might be helpful to you.

Again, congrats!

WAF

I had the worst pain in both feet for about three months.  It felt like I was walking on rocks.  My darlin' hubby would rub on them, and there was indeed two rocks - one in each foot.  Then it went away, like most of my MS symptoms.  One rock was below the ball of my foot, in that hollow spot at the side.  The other was at the arch of my foot - this one was weird, because I never have problems in the arch.
My brother is complaining of exactly the same thing, walking on marbles, pain, burning and he feels like he's still wearing sox when he's not, he also has a lot of pain in his hip. My brother is 47 and up untill about a year ago was a healthy weight and still riding his skateboard lol, now he's top heavy. The first issue he had was his hip and he thought it was from an old skating injury but then his feet started to become a problem, pain etc with out a cause. He finds it really painful to walk, he was dx with carpel tunnel about 3 years ago and he's found that that is playing up because he has to use his arm to get up from bed or a chair etc.

Anyway, about a week or so ago his GP put him on ENDEP 50's for the neuropathic pain sx, it is off label here (OZ) its a depression/anxiety medication but perscribed for pain too, a fare few MSers are on it for this type of pain. Within a week his feet are livable again, he even went for a ride on his skateboard and said he had no issues at all, he's doing everything he use to do and is happy, happy, happy.

I dont know if you guys have this over there but after seeing what its done for my brother i'd recommend finding out. Oh he wasn't depressed but its really helped lift his grumpy old man syndrome, an added bonus lol.

Cheers.......JJ
I have had the marble in the ball of the foot for a long time. In fact it was one of my first symptoms, several years ago. I thought I had a pinched nerve in my lower back or something.  Then my feet went numb and its just all marbly all the time.

I find a TENS unit placed on the ball of the feet and top seems to help relieve the tension but not much gets rid of it anymore. I wear orthoheel sandals all the time just to make sure I am walking normally and not doing any more damage to the foot.

All looks normal though, no calluses or sores. I do have transverse myelitis and MS so the problem probably starts in cervical spine. Weird that something so high can affect the bottoms of the feet.

Jessica
I originally thought that I was growing heel spurs.  It felt like there was something somewhat hard on the sole, in front of the heel, on both feet.  (HAHA! That reminds me: you should've seen the expression on my boss's face when I told her I had to sit down because I had bilateral plantar fasciitis!  She must not have been too offended; hers turned out to be the first wedding at which I ever officiated!)  Doc x-rayed one foot, probably just to prove to me that there wasn't really anything growing out of my heel.  Pain was terrible as long as I worked there, and took several months to clear up after I left.
I have always suffered from what I call phantom pain in my feet.  It comes and goes.  Like Pastor Dan said, it can hurt first thing in the morning, just putting your feet to the floor.  Sometimes it feels like I am walking on hot coals.

I cannot stand too long, as the bottom of my feet will start to hurt.  I often have electric shocks running up and down my big toe and up my foot.  This happens on both sides or on the outer side of my feet.  I have had it for years.  As you know, I do have a diagnosis of MS.  This is one problem that Montel Williams says, was so severe, that he almost commited suicide, because of the pain.  So it can be severe.

If this is what you are talking about, I can totally relate, dearheart.

Heather
Dear MSers & Limbolanders,

Thank you so much for your responses.  I am so glad to hear that others are feeling this too - I'm not crazy and maybe it isn't going to be a Cipro-induced tendon rupture after all!! I never before heard of this type of feeling as being a possible MS symptom, but am glad to learn that it certainly can be!

Thanks again!  I feel better about it after reading your responses!

WAF
Have you guys considered Lyme and Bartonella.  Sore soles is a classic symptom of Bartonella, a common co-infection of lyme disease.  I noticed a few people here also mentioned MS...and lyme disease is frequntly misdiagnosed as MS.   I know many people who were told by the best docs in Boston that they had MS when they really had lyme.

Once they got the lyme and Bart treated properly my an ILADS trained LLMD, they got well.