Multiple Sclerosis Community
Anyone who has had a LP lumbar Puncture, please read spinal tap. 5 ques...

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Anyone who has had a LP lumbar Puncture, please read spinal tap. 5 questions

Yes, I had a LP, it sucked, but thats life.

Anyways. Who on here has had one? If I get enough results you can really help me with my diagnosis, which I will explain once I start getting some answers..

My questions are.

(1) How many vials did they take (normal is 4)

(2) How long do you estimate the needle was in you for? (how long did it take them to collect the fluid once they had the needle in you, estimate is ok)

(3) And did they have to tile the table up at all, or for the whole thing?

(4) And did they ask you to cough, or push like you were going to the bathroom?

(5) And if you know, what was your opening pressure if the took. (if not thats ok, but if so, please answers the other ?'s too)

THANK you VERY VERY much, this is really needed, you will see when I re-post
I had a spinal tap done a month or so back,

How many vials did they take, they took four not all were full

How long do you estimate the needle was in you, probably about 30 minutes that's a guess

And did they have to tile the table up at all, Yes the table was tilted for the entire procedure,

And did they ask you to cough, No

And if you know, what was your opening pressure if the took. i believe it was 122

The procedure was not as bad as i thought, they used an xray machine to guide the needle, and i was on my stomach the whole time,
Hope this helps
Tyler
My LP was one of the bad ones; I hope the radiologist that did it never gets to practice on anyone else; he wasn't even an interventional radiologist.

I seem to recall four vials, and that the fluid was pinkish instead of the clear I expected.  The tech was very kind and concerned about me, and showed me what it was all for when it was over.

The needle was in me for a long time, with three punctures and the needle moved around in each until he was able to get my spinal fluid.  He zapped nerves.

The table was tilted, moved several times, I was asked to move my legs, bear down, cough.  When the fluid was final tapped, I was pretty much standing on one leg, the other bent, with the table rotated nearly upright.

I never heard if an opening pressure was taken.

I ended up with a spinal headache, and needed a blood patch.

The LP was normal (aside from being slightly traumatic, with pinkish fluid), so it didn't contribute to my search for answers.  I was diagnosed in Oct. 09, with that normal LP in my records.

Sorry, way more information than you asked for!  

Kathy

Actualy I need more.

How long (estimate) do you think it took? 30 min? 1 hour 2 hours?
and this is from the time the fluid was tapped, not all the misses and stuff. As is how long did it take to fill the 4 vials?
1) How many vials did they take (normal is 4)
A) 4 apporx 1.5 cm each

A) approx 30 min

A) No, table flat, me curled into fetal possition

A) Only asked to curve my spine more or stay still after he'd hit a nerve

A) No idea

Hope it helps though i think your about to tell us a horror story :-(

Cheers.......JJ
mo,

Honestly, I will have to guess.  After all of that, I was focusing on mindful breathing and thinking "Breathing in, I calm my mind, breathing out, I relax my body", over and over.

It started with just a trickle, so I would guess around 20 to 30 minutes.

Yeah, I think now I fo know what I have.

Intercranial hyportension, or aka CSF leak, prior to my LP.

why do I think so?

#1 headaches, vertigo and light sensativity go away when I am sleeping laying down at night.

#2 They titled the table up the whole time, and it took 1 hour and 40 mins to fill four vials.......

I luckily was under sedation so all I remember was being rolled onto the table in the OR and waking up in recovery several hours later.

Alex
4 vials, maybe 20 minutes to do it all, pressure said to be normal, but I can't remember any numbers, all done lying in fetal position on a flat table, no tilting, pushing, coughing or anything of the kind.  It was repeatedly stressed to me that I needed to drink lots of fluids both before and after the test, so I did, and I had no problems at all.  No radiological guidance; the neuro's NP did it, and said she rarely has a patient with any problems at all.   She does them day after day, week after week.  I think the experience of the person holding the needle and the forced fluid intake are the keys, personally.
4 vials. Probaly around the30 minutes. The resident doctor was doing it and the supervising doctor told me as an experiment to push down like im going to the bathroom to show her that sometimes the fluid comes out faster when you have them do that and it did. I sat on the edge of the table, knees spreaded apart, elbows on knees, head down. Was fine for one day afterwards then got a spinal headache  loaded myself on those red bulls shot ( most caffiene  icould find!) and it went away on the 5th day... they said themselves its coming out fine pressure and such dont know the exact tho!
4 vials and it was about 30 min long. The table was slightly elevated. I dont know the pressure but I do remember being told it was normal.
I think I had mine done at the same place as Pastor Dan -

4 vials
flat on the table - fetal position curl

no headache afterwards

it took about 20 minutes to drain - my neuro and I were laughing which he said was good because it made it drain faster.  Seriously, we were laughing.

Your thought of a CSF leak BEFORE your LP is interesting - have you asked your doctor?

feel better,
Lulu
- four vials
-took about 20 min (max I would say)
-in fetal position on bed, flat
-was never asked to cough or push
-don't know about the pressure

got the headache as well and couldn't walk properly for at least a week to 10 days, very dizzy when I walked

3 vials
took about 30 mins
I was tilted up entire time(had mine done at hospital with Floroscope)
never asked to cough or push
My neuro did not order pressure test

I did not so much get a real headache but had pretty bad pressure in my head for about 3 days.Did not feel right for about a week. I imediatly got the Flu after the LP...
Lu, I had been cast off by your neuro's center by the time the LP was ordered for me.  This was in the office of my neuro #4, who is also supposed to be a specialist in MS.  Just up the road a couple of miles from yours, though.
#1 - 2 vials, large ones

#2 - just a couple of minutes once the needle was in (my GP tried for about an hour b4 he gave up and called in an ultra sound tech, who did the whole thing lickety split)

#3 - i was sitting up with my feet on a stool

#4 - they had me 'arch my back like a cat'

#5 - don't know, don't believe they took the pressure

went home, layed on the couch and drank a pot of coffee as recomended by the tech. No bad headache. Had a sore back for a few days, but with the failed attemps by my GP I had been poked over 2 dozen times.
(1) How many vials did they take (normal is 4)  4

(2) How long do you estimate the needle was in you for? (how long did it take them to collect the fluid once they had the needle in you, estimate is ok) 20-30 minutes

(3) And did they have to tile the table up at all, or for the whole thing?  No.  I curled up in a ball and was flat.

(4) And did they ask you to cough, or push like you were going to the bathroom? No

(5) And if you know, what was your opening pressure if the took. (if not thats ok, but if so, please answers the other ?'s too)   No one said anything about pressure.

how many viles 4
how long 45mins
on side with knees up to chin
no pressure check constantly hit nerves in and out at least 5 times week long headache

I think I might have low pressure, and it took like 1 hour and 45 mins to drain all 4 vials.

However, I had not had any water or food for the past 18 hours, bcause they told me not to buy mistake.

Maybe I was just de-hydrated, which is why it took that long, or maybe low pressure.

I layed flat, with table tilted. Reason for laying flat was they used fluroscope for guidece.
I had two taps in 48 hours.  First one was done with me on my side, curled up in a ball.  The attempted tap took one hour and 15 minutes.  Result, tap failed, I'm left with a huge bruise from the failed attempt and a constant tingling down my left leg.

Second attempt was done using Fluoroscope.  Immediate success.  Was done on a tilt table, with me practically standing straight up while laying on belly.  Tap took about 20 minutes.

4 vials taken.  Do not know the pressure.  Was not asked to cough.

Spinal headache for about 5 days.  The first failed attempt should have sent me running.  It was traumatic, to say the least.
Hey Moto,

I'm chiming in late, but interested in the questions you ask.

I had a minimum of 4, was just ansy after the 4 and don't know if they were successful w/the 5th or 6th.

They tilted the table basically the whole time. I was on my stomach, it was uncomfortable to cough, strain as they asked me to do, etc. Tech. told me this was to get the fluid out quicker...hmmmm

Was longer than 30 minutes. I don't know opening pressure. And, wasn't considered traumatic,  i.e., clear fluid, no blood, etc

I did get the dreaded leak 3 days later. I often wondered if it was the technique.

Do provide your theory on this...
-shell
How about the pain??? I am scheduled for tommorrow morning and am absolutely terrified

4 vials, clear fluid

15 minutes.  My Neuro rocks

flat table, no movement

no, I was still the whole time in the fetal position with my knees to my chest

it was normal....maybe 118?
had  first one done  didnt pay much to it just wanted it over then got call said that the tecnition cometaminated it so 2 weeds later went in for 2nd one I paid close atention

#1 took 3 vials
#2 some what clear fluid
#3 needle was in about 10 to 15  mins at most cause the dr. said i was filling the up fast it took longer for the nurse to get me the coffee then the dr doing my tap.lol

#4 no coughing or pushing just a pillow to hugg and some what leaning forward and of corse holding realy still had 2 holse just put bandaid over them and back to work i went ( was on my lunch break )

#5 dont know about the pressure but this may or may not help I didnt have a single headach for about 3 1/2 to 4 months  and no pressure in my head eather  

not like i do now  wonder if my neurowould give me one just to releave the pressure lol just knding i remember how ling that needle was lol about 3 to 4 inchs long but ant all of that went in my spin but just the thought that it could gives me the willys lol wel hope this helps