Multiple Sclerosis Community
Appointment with neuro surgeon

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Appointment with neuro surgeon

Hi everyone. Well, I have an appointment with a neurosurgeon next Wednesday. Has anyone here ever been referred to a neurosurgeon for any reason, like before you were diagnosed with MS? If you have, what happened?

Still trying to get the nerve up to call an MS specialist. I got a copy of my MRI and looked at the pictures today, but can't figure out what's what.

My research has shown that enlarged ventricles are frequently related to MS. I don't understand why the doctor wouldn't know that.

Hoping for the best. Thanks in advance for any feedback. :)

GrannyKay
probably someone with a foot in cardiology and neurology might know it.  It would be impossible for every doctor to know everything!

I had an appointment with one for carpal tunnel but since I had no dx for it (a neuro and my gp  jumped the gun) and no symptoms or pain, I cancelled it.

most of us can't decipher mri pictures!  pick up the phone, call the MS specialist!  

The medical community is somewhat divided on the ventricle study.  I have no ventricle problems and I have MS.  

Hope this helped but probably not!  At least it bumped you back up for awhile!
I had a consult with a neurosurgeon years before my MS.  I had severe back and leg pain from an osteophyte impinging on a nerve.  Surgery was briefly contemplated if the pain didn't eventually subside, which it did.  I don't recall a lot about the appt, seems to me it was a lot of discussion and minimal examination.  Sorry, that's not much help to you guess.  

I agree with Sarah, call and make an appt with an MS specialist.
Thanks Sarah. The enlarged ventricles are in my brain - I always forget to clarify that with people and they always ask about my heart :o) So the reason they sent me to the neurosurgeon was because they think the enlarged ventricles might be caused from hydrocephalus (water on the brain).

Thank you for your response. :o) I will call the MS specialist tomorrow morning.  
Thank you for your response.

I did find a local neurologist that includes MS as one of his specialties, so I will call them tomorrow morning and see how soon I can get in.

Thanks again.
I'm sorry I don't have any advice or knowledge to offer, just wanted you to know I am thinking of and praying for you.

Hugs, Minnie
I was referred to a neurosurgeon by my first neurologist because my largest lesion looked like a tumor.

This 'tumor' was/is in an inoperable place in the middle of my brain, but they were able to do a biopsy, which they did..

The biopsy determined that it was a 'demyilinating, MS type of lesion".

Almost a year later I was dx'd with MS by an MS neurologist.

Mike

Thank you! Your thoughts and prayers mean a lot!
Thank you Mike. That is interesting.

I will be relieved to be able to have a doctor go over my MRI with me so I can understand more what they are seeing. I have only seen/talked to my neurologist once and that was when she ordered the MRI. The only person I've talked to since then is the guy that did the LP, who told me my pressure was fine, and the lady that called me to tell me they were referring me to a neurosurgeon because my ventricles were enlarged and my pressure was high. So it will be good to have some clarification on things!!
I just realized that! LOL, must be my fog week!
But yes, at least see him, and enlighten us so we learn from it.
Wishing you the best AND some answers!
We'll be here on the sidelines cheering you on quietly
HI GrannyK,

I look forward to you getting a good understanding on things from this new doc. Hope he/she is incredibly thorough and explains everything that may be going on.

When will the appt. be set?
-shell
My appointment with the neurosurgeon is this Wednesday.

As far as the MS specialist, I had to get a referral from my primary care physician to get that set up so I've made the request and now just waiting to hear back from them.

He has excellent patient reviews online, and there weren't many neuros with good reviews. I'm happy to get a second opinion from any neuro, but knowing that he is well acquainted with MS is helpful so that if it's not MS he can reassure me of that and if it is I can trust I'm in good hands.

Will keep y'all posted. Thank you so much for your support ... this is a great group of people here!
Hello, wishing you luck with your apt. I have seen a neurosurgeon twice, !st time was for compressed nerves, he said surgery in 3 months if no better, I didnt want to go the surgery route, so didnt go back for a year. In that time More things have gone wrong with me which have nothing to do with the compressed nerves and apparently I am a complicated case because I have a back problem, but a whole load of other complications that dont come with a bad back.
The 2nd time I saw him he told me it was time to get back out in the real world, think positive thoughts and get over it basicly, with no testing or feeling, the only question I was asked was if I am able to reach orgasm, in a sarcastic manner. needless to say I wont be going back lol.
Heres hoping you get a nice one who will spend time and explain things to you. good luck.