Arachnoid Cysts and Multiple Sclerosis
When someone has a large arachnoid cyst that creates nerve compression and ms indicating lesions on frontal lobe brain is it possible in any way shape or form that arachnoid cysts and ms symptoms are related in any way?  I cannot see how they cannot be but I would really like an answer and for doctor's to say the cyst causes no side effects?  What about the head pain, dizziness, loss of balance, nausea?????

Thank you

Thunder Bay
I don't have any answers for you, but wanted to say, hang in there. Also wanted to ask what an arachnoid cyst is? Spider shaped? Not good at medical terms, sorry!  Karina
Hi, I don't see how an arachnoid cyst and MS can be realted.  They occur from two VERY separate mechanisms.  But they certainly could INTERact.  With pressure from the cyst adding to the difficulty from MS lesions.

While most (the majority) arachnoid cysts (described becasue of the spider web-like appearance of the blood vessels in the arachnoid layer of the brain/spine covering) are assymptomatic, they can, indeed cause symptoms.  Most cyst are discovered because the person had a scan for an unrelated problem like an acute head injury and the cyst is seen, but there were no prior complaints.  Or a cyst is found at autopsy and looking back over the records there were no complaints.  

but, clearly they can be symptomatic.  Here is a link from the US National Institutes of Health.  I stopped here, but if you search for arachnoid cysts, I'm sure you'll find more data.

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/arachnoid_cysts/arachnoid_cysts.htm

Hope this helps, Quix
I was mistaken.  Most arachnoid cysts DO eventually cause symptoms.  So sorry, I was repeating what I learned and made the same mistake you doctor made.  The link is still good and yes, ALL of the symptoms you described are associated with them!!!!!!!!!!!

I am sorry, Quix
Hi, I was wondering if you have gotten any further with any doctors on your symptoms?  I have an arachnoid cyst myself that covers my C-7 to T-3 and a couple of lesions one on the brain and one one my spine and drag my left leg with pins and needles from my hip to my bottom of my foot and the doctors that I have seen just want to focus on MS.  I know there is some specialist at Stanford Hospital that deal with Arachnoid Cyst and I myself are trying to get help as I speak.  Good Luck.
THIS IS INTERESTING.I DON'T HAVE ANY ARACHNOID CYSTS,BUT I HAVE ADHEARD ARACHNOIDITIS IN THE LOWER THORACIC AND LUMBAR,FROM A PREVIOUS BACK INJURY.

MY NEURO BELEIVES ITS PART OF THE PROBLEMS WITH MY LEGS.I HAD NEVER HEARD OF ARACHNOID CYST OR ARACHNOIDITIS,BUT HERE LATELY I HAVE.

T
Hi, I have had several medical problems throughout the last four years, but I am concerned about a MRI reading that I had done on Jan 2008. This is what it reads evidence of degenerative disk disease at the L5-S1 level. there is a  small central discogenic herniation causing impression upon the anterior thecal sac. Mild degenerative change affecting the facets and mild foraminal narrowing. A 6mm arachnoid cyst is seen at the S2 level. (I had an MRI in 8/06 that showed a central disk bulge without stenosis and mild degenerative disc disease that was not affecting anything.)
Does anyone know what this means? My doctor wants me to go to a nueroligist because I also have numbing of the hands,fingers,arms and legs. Sharp pains that allmost make me drop, pressure and headaches, and over all fatigue and achy body. I am always in a great deal of pain, back pain that never relives and alot of joint/muscle pain. An MRI of my neck was done as well on that day, they noted that on STIR pulse sequences is some altered signal texture of the left sided cerebellum. I had my brain/cervical MRI yesterday and I am awaiting the results.  If anyone knows what this may be,please let me know. Any information would greatly be appreciated.
WHEN I GET SOME SLEEP I'LL BE BACK WITH SOME INFORMATION, MY EYES ARE WONKY TODAY

T-LYNN
hehe..thanks
has any one had the cyst removed?