Multiple Sclerosis Community
Are there any distinguishing symptoms between fibromyalgia and ms?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

My problems began about 20 years ago with what they thought was mononucleosis. My immune system took a hard hit, pleurisy, psoriasis and cold sores.
Since then, I've had bouts of trigeminal neuralgia, extreme fatigue, back spasms and the list goes on. I can be fine for a year, then it hits again. Nerve pain is always the worst symptom.
Sorry no one's answered this yet. I have MS, and I've never had a relapse that could be conflated with Fibromyalgia. Pain is not my issue, but in the past I have gone blind in one eye, lost the use of one foot, had one side of my tongue go numb, had eyes that point different directions, bilateral positive Babinski etc. So, from my perspective, it's always surprising when people believe them to manifest in similar ways. Apples and oranges to me!
Wow, sorry to hear that. The Fibromyalgia is a frustrating "ghost disease" in my opinion. I take Cymbalta daily to treat symptoms but it's not always enough :(
Hi Brandy,

I can tell you for absolute certain that TN, extreme fatigue and back spasms are much of what many MSers experience.

Your immune system sure did take quite a hit with what you describe above.  

The title of your question however, is related to distinguishing symptoms of MS and Fibro, but, those symptoms you have mentioned are related moreso to MSers.

BE certain to get in with a PRO immunologist, because of what you went through, and what you are experiencing.

Unlike fibro, to have MS you have to have visible damage within the CNS.  I truly hope you find something to help with the nerve pain.
I didn't mean to imply that people with MS can not experience those things, rather oftentimes MS and Fibromyalgia look and feel obviously different from one another, at least in a clinically objective diagnostic sense.

Statistically more people are diagnosed with MS with vision issues as the presenting episode with I don't believe is something found with pain syndromes like Fibromyalgia. I guess I think more of what they don't have in common as the MS I'm surrounded with in myself and others isn't easily confused with it.
Have you had a neurological exam and was it abnormal. The neuro exam can be done by any doctor. It is reflexes, following the eye, balancing. If it is just Fibro then the exam would be normal. Fibro is a very bad thing in itself. It is more connective tissue where MS is purely neurological. Before my GP did a neurological exam they thought I had Fibro. They even thought I had both.

Alex
Doesn't fibromyalgia involve pain in a certain number of specified pressure points? MS certainly can cause pain but doesn't have to. MS does need evidence of lesions in the central nervous system, usually demonstrated by both MRI and neurological exam.