Multiple Sclerosis Community
Are you getting a flu shot this year?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Are you getting a flu shot this year?

Of all the days to schedule  a two hour glucose test, involving lots of sitting in a cold waiting room, I have arrived on the day that the clinic has issued an open invitation to come, and for a reasonable fee be immunized against the flu.

Obviously the warnings to the public are heard and heeded, because the waiting area fills in around me with mothers with very young  children in tow,  the elderly and the infirm.  It’s another reality dose for me when I realize that some of those here  appear to be close to my age…. Could I possibly be elderly too?  No, I reassure myself quietly, I just fall into that category of infirm.  Ouch, is that a better place to be?  

My flu shot was put on hold when my PCP questioned whether it would interfere with my starting disease modifying drug therapy.   I’m waiting for an answer from my neurologist before we decide.

I’ve been fortunate and last had the real flu in 1981, three months after my daughter was born.  I stayed  in bed for over a week, wishing I could die because I hurt so bad.  I have had a few stomach  viruses since then, but not the  honest to goodness influenza, not  the kick you while you’re down with aches and pains  and spinning room when you open your eyes or attempt to lift your head off a sweat  soaked pillow, flu bug.  Even though I’ve not had the flu shot ever, I think this is a good year to start this practice.  I don’t need any more illnesses rampaging through my body.  

I may not yet be elderly, but I am definitely infirm. And I know getting the flu could be disastrous.

THis is written with a good bit of wit, you give us a nice bit of sparkle and cheer here, you know? :)

I had to smile, and think that you are blessed, not having the flu in that long it quite nice.

I have it every year several times, and usually develop bronchitis or some type of lung infection to boot several times from one source or another. I think this is normal, but then I realize that some folks out there really don't go through that every year???

I will be getting my flu shot soon, i think? it helps.

~Sunnytoday~
Please look for a site that has "Thimerosal free" flu shots if at all possible.  My friend who has had MS for 15 years has gotten a flu shot for the last ten years.  She recently had a mercury blood level done and it was moderately high.  I am not saying there is a connection to anything, but if you can avoid the mercury, it might be an option if you already have a neurological disease.

Elaine
My MS Neuro is adamant that we all get our flu shots.  It should have no effect on whether you are taking or beginning a DMD (This does not include Tysabri or Novantrone, or other cytotoxic chemo agents like Imuran, Cytoxan, etc).  This is supported by the MS Society.

The slight reaction from the shot is nothing compared with the expected relapse after having influenza.

The DMDs do NOT suppress the immune system.  This is a common misconception.  They do not make one more susceptible to infection like cancer chemo drugs.

But, since your PCP raised the question, you should await your neurologist's answer.

Quix
I will be getting a flu shot tomorrow at work.  Never had one before, but my GP recommended I do so, and made all the same points that Dr. Q mentions above.  

It is reassuring that wonderful Dr. Q is consistently on the same page as my wonderful GP, and vice versa!
My PCP would not give me a flu shot right now.  She said it's too early.  She is making me wait another 30 days.  I have always had my flu shots around the end of Sept or the first part of October.  I hope she doesn't put me off and they run out of vaccine, or I will be one upset old lady....

Anyone else have their doctor's say that now is too early for the vaccine?

Heather
As soon as I can, I am getting a shot!  I can't tell you how many MRSA patients I get at my desk, and it scares the poop out of me....and we all know how easy that is.......
especially in the pharmacy (old joke that I won't let die)!

I get out the disinfectant a few times each day and scrub everything down, but still....  I want all the protection I can get.  If any of us were to get a fever, think how miserable we'd be.....

Get your shots!!!

Feel well!  That's an order!

Zilla*
I developed asthma the same year I had the really-o, truly-o influenza in about 1997 and it wasn't a pretty sight, so I get the flu shot every year now. I can't afford to take any chances with such a killer disease! I'm due for a pneumonia shot this year, too.  I don't even usually have a reaction except maybe a sore arm for a little bit. Go for it!
I haven't been allowed flu shots for many years..For Me my Doctors said it would not be something they would Not recommend because of the MS... I know it is different for everyone..Back when they were giving me the shot, I got so much worse...
like I said everyone is different... so don't go by me..
Hugs....DJ ((((~!~))))
Just got home from work, after getting my very first flu shot.  I hope I didn't jinx myself as I haven't had the flu in years.  But my GP strongly encouraged me to get one, and since they're giving them out at work anyway, I thought I'd give it a shot.  ha ha, aren't I funny, and so original.
DJ - you're right that not everyone can take the flu shot, but that's the exception and not the rule.  You just have to be more cautious in public and wash your hands a lot!! :-)

I always try to remember to say,"don't go by what my Dr. tells me. I learned this many years ago when I was an MS peer counselor.I stopped being a peer Counselor when it was brought to my attention that because of the rapid onset that I had according to the Doctors, I scared a lot of people. They were thinking they would end up like me. This kind of under-minded what I was trying to do. it is also part of the reason I went without a support group for all these many years... If it hadn't been for you reaching out to me over at inspire I'd still be missing out on this wonderful support group that we have...
Back to the flu shot issues, thank goodness my family is aware of my condition so when they have even a sniffle they stay away...  :-), I get into trouble some times, but my Doctors manage my care as best they can. Plus, I know who is really in charge, and it isn't me or the Doctors, they know it too...
I got my flu shot yesterday at the MS clinic.  They told me to skip my Avonex injection for this week only.  I was told talking the flu shot and Avonex too  close together would make me sick.  It worked out just fine because I was going to take my Avonex last night.  Now I get to wait a week.  Yeah! :)

LA
I need to clarify something.  One of the things that can cause an exacerbation (relapse) is an immunization.  ANYTHING that stimulates the immune system can cause a relapse.  BUT, generally the immunizations causes less of a relapse than does the actual disease.  Influenza can, and does kill healthy people, young and old.  It is worse with any type of infirmity.

It is the general recommendation in MS that we get the flu shots, even with the risk of a relapse.  We could be far worse off with a severe case of influenza coupled with a likely stronger relapse.  Now in Sissy's case her doctors have chosen to avoid the shot, but ShadowsSister you must take heroic precautions to avoid the flu.

I also understand the desire to avoid the flu-like side effects of an Interferon combining with the flu shot.  In my case, my reaction to Avonex lasts less than a day so I will just separate them by 4 days or so.  Also, I have never had a reaction to a flu shot.

Quix
My Avonex injection was due yesterday so they told me to just wait until I was due for my next injection.

Thank you for the information about the relapse possiblity.  I have been having a horrible time with seeing double today!  It is getting better this after noon so hopefully it is not a big deal.

LA