Aspirin and a Lumbar Puncture
I am having a lumbar puncture to try to confirm what my neurologist thinks is MS.  I take 2 aspirin tablets a day, usually every day along with norco.  Does anyone know if the aspirin can cause problems with an LP?  I have tried to get ahold of my doctor and have been unable to.

Or has anyone had an LP while taking 600mg of aspirin and been fine?  I am already really nervous about this!

Thanks,
Emmas Mom
Hello and welcome to the MS Forum!  I have googled this and found pretty much only that your physician should know you are on this medication prior to performing the LP.  If you are unable to contact his office prior to the LP, please contact the facility that you are to have the LP at and explain the situation to them.  Let them know the Dr.'s name, what you are to have done, when it is scheduled and what your concern is.  Usually your physician will leave an emergency number or pager number on his/her voice mail or will give you the opportunity to leave a message.  I think this is very important that your doctor know prior to the test as you may have to discontinue it for a few days prior to the test.

Please don't be too nervous about  the test itself though ok?  Many of us have had the test and not had any problems at all during the test.  As far as the after effects, you should drink a fair amount of fluid prior to the test and then after the test you should remain lying down and drink as much fluid as possible before they kick you out...when they say you are welcome to stay as long as you want...take them up on it because it will be when you sit up and raise your head above your shoulders that you will get the headache.  When you get home ensure that you have someone there to help you for at least a day or two...you should only get up to use the bathroom and even then if you stay bent over at the waist it will help to alleviate the headache.  It is the loss of fluid in your spine that causes the headache and when you stand up it will hit you.  

So, drink lots of fluid and fluid with caffeine helps as well and take advantage of a few days of pampering.  Some people will rebound really quick and have no headache at all and others can be down for a longer period but if you follow the instructions I have laid out you should be alright!

So let us know how you make out ok?  You really need to let the doctor know you are on this aspirin prior to the test though...you want to avoid having it all set up and then finding out you can't do it.  We are here 24/7 if you need some support and we have a great group of people that will stand behind you and advise you and if we don't know something, we can usually dig until we find it.  I hope this has been some help to you and other members may pop in and give further advice.  As I said before, welcome to our little community and we are looking forward to getting to know you further!

Lots of Hugs,

Rena
I was advised to stop the aspirin before my LP, but I would not have stopped without the okay of my physician.  Please let us know what you find out.  When is your LP?  My recommendation . . . pamper yourself for a few days (a good book, a little chocolate, etc.)

Sherry  
My LP was an extremely easy test, once I got past holding the fetal position on my side for about 20 minutes.  There was no real discomfort, minimal headache, and I was up and conferring with my neuro immediately afterwards.

From what I have read here, the reaction to the LP differs widely from patient to patient and any other underlying medical conditions you may have can play a large role in your comfort levels.  Research and read as much as you can about this test so you can alleviate the anxiety that goes along with it.  

When is your LP scheduled?  Stay in touch, ok?

My best,
Lulu