Multiple Sclerosis Community
Atypical Migraines

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Atypical Migraines

Well, in my quest for a diagnosis, it seems I have come across a new possibility.  While awaiting the results of another round of MRIs, my new neurologists has started me on Topomax (topamax), a medication used to treat seizures and migraines.  It seems there is a type of migraine called an atypical complex migraine that can trigger a seizure, cause neurological symptoms, and not even involve a headache.  She is a multiple sclerosis specialists, so she is looking for that too, but in the meantime, she wanted to give this a try since the seizures don't seem to fit any other diagnosis.  So far, I haven't had a seizure since I started on it, and I have felt really good.  It's to soon to tell though because I often have two or three week spells of feeling great with no neurological symptoms and can go weeks without seizures as well.  I'm very hopeful though.  Any one have a comment?

I'm spitting in the wind still, but I do finally have a doctor I trust, who doesn't shrug my symptoms off to stress or panic attack.  Hallelujah!  There's hope out there, and her name is Dr. Tseng.
Hey I have atypical migraines and MS. The difference is easy for me. When I take Immitrex, Frovia, etc the atypical migraine symptoms go away. I get numbness and weakness down the left and sometimes lose sight out of the left side. It is trial and error for everyone. Topamax and other anti seizures have not helped. My Doctor is going to try another one I can't remember which one. Good luck.

Alex
just pleased that you have a neuro that you like and who is working with you, I get migraines too, mainly without the actual headache but I get the pins and needles etc. sometimes for me it's a grey area of what is headache and what is not, but I have given up lately trying to work out which is what and just focus on treating the symptoms.  Of cause you could be like Alex and have both a rare type of migraine and MS.

My migraine meds didn't work but I am thinking about asking the Dr to try a different one.

Cheers,
Udkas
I forgot to say I have Transverse Myelitis and Migraine, hence why I get confused as to what symptoms are what sometimes.
Depends what day you ask me I think they are all migraine :-)