Multiple Sclerosis Community
Autonomic Dysfunction In Multiple Sclerosis - following Quix post

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Following Quix post in which once again Autonomic Dysfuntion was discussed, I though that it might be helpful to post the following reference.

I have had problems with bladder/bowel recently which are new to me, plus problems with capillaries in the lower half of my legs and with sweating.

Having gone through the menopause some time ago the sweating is getting worse, I also have periods when I cannot get warm and this often last a couple of hours in spite of several blankets / hot water bottles, etc.  

The bottom half of my legs will often be severely discoloured when I get up at night to visit the bathroom, in spite of the fact that I have been lying down and there should not be a problem.  

I discussed all this with my MS nurse who said they are common problems in MS related to the autonomic nervous system, hence my interest in this. There is a wealth of information on the WWW related to this subject.

I came across this paper published in 2006 which I thought might be of interest. Here is the link, I have posted the abstract below in case you have problems with the link and need to do a Google search.

Hope this helps some of you.

Be Well
Pat

http://www.springerlink.com/content/234560283034p472/fulltext.pdf

Autonomic Dysfunction In Multiple Sclerosis
Haensch CA, Jorg J
J Neurol 2006 Feb;253 Suppl 1:i3-i9
HELIOS Klinikum Wuppertal, Dept. of Neurology, Heusnerstr 40, 42283, Wuppertal, Germany
________________________________________
PMID# 16477484
Abstract
Multiple Sclerosis (MS) is the most frequent chronic Neurological Disease affecting young persons in developed countries. MS is, however, considered as a secondary cause, of Central origin, for Autonomic Dysfunction.
The most common Autonomic symptoms in MS are disorders of Micturation, Impotence, Sudomotor and GastroIntestinal disturbances, Orthostatic intolerance as well as sleep disorders.
The majority of the patients suffer at some period of the disease from Lower Urinary Tract symptoms and sexual dysfunction. Awareness and treatment of these conditions is vital to improving health and quality of life in patients with MS.
The increased understanding of the pathophysiological mechanisms in Autonomic Dysfunction in MS, along with technological and pharmaceutical developments has advanced our ability to treat the multiple aspects complicating Autonomic failure in MS.
Pat,.

Thank you for the article. I have autonomic dysfunction and my non-MS docs aren't sure about it's origin. This will be great to show to them.

Ren
Thanks, Pat.  I never think of the bladder/bowel problems as being autonomic dysfunction -  I always immediately think of the big ones of respiration and cardiac function!  

Now I'm curious to see what research has been built upon this article.   Thanks, L
Hi both,

yes I am too and will let you know if I come across anymore.

Be well

Pat x