Multiple Sclerosis Community
Babinski reflexes and hyperactive tendon reflexes?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Hi everyone,

I just got a report from an IME doc about a car accident I was in back in August 2006. I saw him after I got my brain MRI that mentioned punctate foci that the radiologist thought were unlikely to be MS but couldn't rule it out. So this guy got a ton of things wrong in the report her wrote for the insurance company, so I don't know why I think he might have gotten this part right. He's definitely not an MS doc; he's a neurosurgeon.

Anyway, in the report he notes that my "tendon reflexes of lower extremities are hyperactive but symmetrical and equal bilaterally" and he also said I had "equivocal Babinski reflexes bilaterally." He summed up by saying that the two together could "point to an early Babinski." My Hoffman reflexes were negative, he said.

My neurologist didn't mention anything abnormal in her exam of me. Is that something a neuro would mention normally if she saw it? I see her again in about a month, so I'll certainly mention this and ask her about it, but I wondered if this was at all significant and whether *if* I actually had these abnormal reflexes, it could be attributed to something else and/or simply normal for me?

I appreciate any opinions you care to share!

cheers,

---SM
From what I understand on the matter, when you get these reflexes, it is an abnormal response, meaning that something is going on neurologically. Whatever it is, it is effecting both sides (bilaterally) of your legs.

I've noticed that most the times, the neurologist will not tell you that there is abnormalities on examination. I just think that is something they do.

When they check for the Babinski reflexes, is when they rub something along the bottom of your foot. An normal response is when the toes do not move. An abnormal response is when the toes flare out. Only young infants have this response but as we grow older we lose this response unless something is wrong neurologically.

I hope this helps

I love what we can find on the internet.  Here's a favorite of mine that has videos of the different neuro exams being performed.  click on the tab labeled Neurological Exam Videos. I think this might help.  

http://isc.temple.edu/neuroanatomy/lab/lesions/index.htm