Multiple Sclerosis Community
Bells Palsy, precursor for MS?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Bells Palsy, precursor for MS?

I have had Bells Palsy for almost 5 weeks.  I am almost completly recovered.  I have about 905 movement back, and feel pretty good.  I was on prednisone for the 1st three weeks, but havne't had to take them for the past week and a half.  the alarming part is I have had some other symptoms pop up in the last week.  I have blurred vision that comes and goes pretty quickly.  It seems to be related to dry eyes, but I am blinking normally now.  If I use drops it goes away, and sometimes blinking helps.  I also seem to see my eye floater more frequently now.  I am also getting muscle twitches all over my body.  they are completly random and can happen at any time.  They last anywhere from 1-10 seconds.  so they are pretty quick.  I am also getting tired espcially in the middle of the day.  that has been going on for a while now (almost a year.  I was diagnosed with a slight thyroid disorder and am taking the lowest dose of meds I can.  Blood test last week confirmed thyroid was normal with meds. I haven't slept well recently either. The last thing I have is a very small area on my left pinky finger towards the tip (probably smaller than the size of a dime), the experiencing slightly less sensation.  I can still feel everything, but it is dulled a little.  could this all be the early stages of MS?  Or is it just anxiety?  I did have a panic attack little over a year ago, but none since (although I have felt a few coming on and have been able to calm myself down).  I think this is anxiety related, but it's hard to shake the thoughts.  My grandfather had Myasenthia Gravis, and my mom has Fibromayalgia.  I have a fear of getting an auto-immune disease.  I also spend time thinking about "how mcuh time I have left."  Any help would be appreciated.
Bells Palsy would be scary. I am glad you are recovering.

Bells Palsy does not always lead to MS. Do you have a Neurologist you trust that is a good start. Has the Dr. mentioned MS or are you looking at the internet and leading to MS? I know I can make myself nuts looking things up online.

MS is not necessarily linked to other autoimmune disorders and it is rarely fatal.

I have had a lot of medical issues and a lot of tests. the one thing I have learned is not to go to the worst case scenario. Tests are just tests. Sometimes it takes awhile to figure things out. I have needlessly freaked myself out too many times.

Good luck,
Alex
Hi there,

You do sound as if you have your fair share of life fear at this moment. Did you share this with the Dr.? It's important and you can get help and it's very legitimate. Hard thing to bring up to the Dr. though - but so very important to do so.

You can simply describe your symptoms and family history and then divulge your fears based on what you are experiencing.

Thank you for feeling comfortable enough to trust us with your thoughts and fears. I hope we can help you out with your next steps.

-Shelly
i have had bells palsey for nearly ten years now i got it back in 2003 a week before my son was due....i had 97% to my right side of my face i still suffer extreme tiredness from time to time and my eye still stings like i have shampoo in my eye and weakness i find stress and doing to much brings on it on i think i will have this for the rest of my life anyone alse in the same boat?