Multiple Sclerosis Community
Ben-gay type feeling?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Ben-gay type feeling?

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this feeling like someone just randomly slatthered on some menthol ben-gay on a section of your skin. Mine is usually somewhere on one of my calves or ankle, and occasionally my arm.

Jen
Does it feel cold, or burny, or both?  I get cold sensations on my body - most recently on the side of my right thigh, or my right ankle.  Just the other day, I started getting an odd hot sensation on the outside of my left leg.  I also get a prickly sort of feeling (feels like I'm standing in cockleburrs!) on the outside of my left foot.
Forearms, hands, calfs, feet and on my back between my shoulder blades.  Dr.s call it a burning dysesthesia (unpleasant sensation.)   Sometimes mines starts as itching and "as the volume goes up" turns into burning.  That sensation, if it was just in the one place or both feet is associated with non-myelinated "small fiber nerves" in the skin.  Since I get it in multiple places and have CNS demyelination, I think of it as a short circuit in the wiring.  Some place, my brain thinks it is getting the itch/burn message, but it really isn't there.  Cognitive Behavioral Therapy in action.  Yep, I still scratch at it sometimes.

Bob
It's kinda like that heating/burning feeling. That's in addition to the prickly needle/electrical feeling in my finger tips and bottom of my feet. Frequently I get that limb-has-fallen-asleep feeling.
I get the "buzz" in my hands and feet.  For the most part, I'm able to ignore that.  Except maybe when I'm in bed trying to sleep.  Then it irritates the heck out of me.  The "buzz," pins and needles, and the like I'd call a paresthesia.  Weird, unusual, but not what I'd classify as unpleasant.   The burning or the Trigeminal Neuralgia (TN) shocks are very unpleasant.  Most of the TN pain is controlled by the Tegretol.  Doesn't do much for the other sensations.  I have something "natural" that usually puts that to rest.

Bob
I get the burning sensation in my arms. And it does feel like icy hot. Does anyone find that cool air from a fan or from the air conditioning in a car causes the burning sensation as well.
When I lay in bed at night I have to keep my arms covered because the air from the fan causes them to burn. So strange.

Dawn
Wow. Just wrote a long post only to lose it.  Ugh.
Anyway, yes I have that Ben gay feeling. In my right hand and tongue right now.

And yes. The car ac and ceiling fan make my arms burn.

All the time. Feet and legs, arms and hands, and sometimes in the private areas. Had one there for most of last month. One time I woke up thinking I'd messed my pants! I call it icy/hot too - just like someone slathered big swatches of biofreeze on my skin. I have them on my face too. And almost always, when one of these shows up, sooner or later (usually within a week or two) I'll start having muscle spasms and twitches under that area of skin.
I had this all day on my left arm from just above to just below my elbow. Icy/hot is the perfect description. I get it in other places too. It tends to be half-numb to touch when it's doing this too.
Ok guys can some one please tell me what the heck is "ben-gay" my ignorance is showing lol

cheers...JJ
Yes, I get that occasionally, more the past week than before...and the buzzing like I'm up against an electric fence (can tell I live in farm country..lol)
Sorry JJ, I guess I'm dating myself. Ben-gay is an ointment that you put on sore muscles. It has a methol type substance it it that is supposed to sooth. The new version is that Icy/Hot that has been mentioned too. It's just not too soothing a feeling when you actually haven;t put it on and the feeling is there in patches.

Jen
ha, i have a couple of spots that are hot and i have a fantom wet spot on the inside of my left leg that has had me checking if i've wet my self a dozen times already today lol.

cheers.....JJ

what a great description.  I'll have to remember that analogy next time I need to descripe this phenomenon to someone.  

supermum is from the UK, and perhaps they have something different - Tiger Balm does the same thing as Ben Gay.  Does that help, Mum?

-Lu
We do have tiger balm and deep heat, though my hot spots are on my head so i think of years ago using a curling iron and toughing my head with the wand.

cheers....JJ

PS I was born in the UK but grew up in OZ
I agree with Lulu...that analogy is awesome!  I get the same feeling on my forehead and my ankle regularly and it's an aggravation that I could live without just like the rest of the parasthesia's and numbness and all the rest of the stupid symptoms of MS.  Just more joy of having this stupid disease...sorry, I am feeling bitter today.
I recently been getting the bengay feeling on my legs and feet. I go to a neurologist next month but have not been diagnosed yet. I was just wondering if it could be something else besides MS? I have IC and IBS. I also was told my body is producing too much insulin which is causing my low blood sugars. I have an appt to a endocrinologist next also.