Multiple Sclerosis Community
Biting Tongue
About This Community:

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Biting Tongue

Recently, while just falling asleep my jaw clamps shut so unexpectedly that I bite my tongue. It doesnt happen during the day, just when Im so relaxed. I also have jumpy, jerking legs, but this happens during the day too which I can cope with. Ive been on  carbamazepine and this seems to have settled down the jumpy jerking legs thankfully  . Im wondering if anyone has experienced this with their MS and why it is happening.    The side of my tongue is so sore this morning. Thanks Heather
Related Discussions
6 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
15442_tn?1316521989
Hi Heather.   I have no diagnosis of MS..... I guess I'm a limbolander

I have had this happen to me on several occasions.  Dead asleep and then this lacerating pain in my tongue, under the left side of the tip, awakens me.  I did not think that I had bitten the tongue and it certainly was not sore at the time or the next day.  Usually when you bite your tongue it leaves a mark or pain of some sort.   I guess these symptoms are a little different in that respect.  

Weird things certaianly happen.  

P
Blank
667078_tn?1316004535
I do this and it is due to myoclonic spasms. I actually have broken two teeth as well as biting me tongue and the inside of my cheek. My dentist made me a bite guard. Normal people have these spasms in sleep starts.

Alex
Blank
Thanks for the replies, really appreciate this. Will see about getting a mouth guard made, good idea, that should protect my tongue. Best wishes Heather  
Blank
382218_tn?1341185087
This doesn't occur to me while sleeping but the title of your post got my attention because I've noticed I am frequently biting down on my tongue while awake, when my neuropathic pain is at its worst.  Kind of like gritting one's teeth I guess.  I'm not actually aware I'm doing it at the time, but I can actually see the impression of my teeth around the edges of my tongue.  I notice it every day when I brush my teeth.
Blank
667078_tn?1316004535
DV I bite my tongue during the day as well. I have no control at all. I am hoping more anti seizure medication will help.
Blank
Maybe increasing my carbamazepine too at night may help, I'll see what my neurologist suggests. I know you should never blame everything on your MS but it is hard sometimes! Keep well everyone    
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Multiple Sclerosis Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...