Blood tests
I just wondered if anyone can tell me if it is standard to have blood test when diagnosings neurological problems.

I have been examined by a Neurologist, I have had MRI scans, brain stem potentails (auditory only) and a Lumbar puncture.

The only blood I have had taken is a small amount when the LP was done.

Should I have had more detailed blood tests? also should I have had other evoked potentails done?
Yes, yes, yes ... there should have been a whole lot of blood taken from you  - I remember giving up 12 vials in my dx process at one sitting - These tests are essential to check for all sorts of other diseases that mimic MS.  

The blood tests are not for the neurological diseases - that often shows up in the central nervous system and the spinal fluid, but to double check for blood borne diseases, such as Lyme or markers in your systems for Lupus or other autoimmune disorders.

I'm very surprised that you haven't had more done.  The blood serum to compare with the CSF from the LP is standard - they need to make sure that any o-bands present in the CSF are unique from the ones found in your blood.

be well,
Lulu
There is several common blood test that you should have, to eliminate possible MS mimics. MS is not only a clinical diagnosed disease, but a disease of elimination..meaning you have to eliminate any other causes (autoimmune disease, infectious, etc.)

Here is a Health Page of some of the blood panels that most neuros will run. Granted, they might not run every single one, but they do run most, depending on your symptoms and especially if they are looking at MS as a possible diagnosis.

http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Multiple-Sclerosis/Common-Blood-Test-Youll-See-During-the-Diagnosis-Process/show/446?cid=36
Thanks for your replies. Now I'm not sure what to do about it? I see the neuro in 10 days time so I shall have to think of way of dropping this into conversation without lookin like I'm telling him how to do his job. He's is actually very pleasant and I have no issues with him.
I guess you could casually drop it by saying "that you have a friend that had some neurological problems too, and MS was considered as a possibility. (We are all friends on the forum, right?) You could then say that they were telling you of all the blood panels for MS mimics that they had, and if he plans to run any. That way, it's still his idea and his choice. Your not really telling him what to do, just adding input.

It is a good idea to get all these blood panels for the MS mimics out of the way, so there is no question. A lot of these disease (Lyme, Lupus, Sjogrens, Sarcoid) have unique characteristics from MS, but some of the symptoms can be just like MS, and that's why they are considered MS mimics. Having a B12 deficiency can cause a lot of problems with the muscle and needs to be address as well.

Maybe he might run these on his own, after the results of your LP, if the answer was not there. Good luck at your appointment & keep us posted :)
Do not get alarmed if they check for things like HIV it is routine.

Alex
I have had the results of the LP and they are normal. I'm waiting to get the results of 2nd MRI the first one showed The result of the MRI showed a quote "solitary T2 Hyperintense focus in the right parietal subcortical white matter which is non specific and by no means diagnostic of demyelination."

From all the tests I have had this is the only thing that has shown anything a part from all the symptoms I am experiencing.

Getting desperate not for a DX but just something to make make the pain and problems it's causing me go away.
I can relate. I have only 4-5 of those non specific lesions in my brain, and that's as far as the material evidence as I go. I do have a abnormal neuro exam, but that's it. Right now I'm pretty much desperate for answers and treatment. My GP does believe, I do have MS and is just as frustrated as I am about the situation.

My neuro & GP does have me on meds to control some of my issues/symptoms. I'm on Baclofen for spasticity/muscle spasms and Neurotin for pain issues. If you don't have a diagnosis, your doctors can still treat your symptoms. If it is MS, it won't get better, but the meds do help a little. If you are on meds and not getting relief, maybe it's not the right kind for you.

Hang in there...Hopefully you'll get some answers soon. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Are You Sure You Have All Of The Results From Your LP?
When I Had Mine It Took 6 Weeks To Get My Results, Looking At Your Post It's Took 2 Days It Seems Abnormaly Quick To Me.
And Yes I Am Like You I Live In The UK And Being Treated Within The NHS.
I Am Sure It Is The Norm With Other NHS Patients, No Doubt Others Will Respond.
But Do Get In Touch With The Neurologists Secretary And Ask Them If They Are All Of The Results, I Suspect That They Are Not.
Take Care
Regards Joe.
Forgive Me I Have Just Reread Your Post And I Was Taking It For Granted That You Had Your LP A Couple Of Days Ago.
Please Accept My Apologises.
Regards Joe.
To slightybroken
My neuro exam showed that I had abnormally brisk reflexes. My neuro has said on several occassion he believes that the cause of my problems is organic. He has talked about MS but I get the feeling that as the results have come in "normal" he seems to think this is not the case.

I am not on any medication. Having asked if there was something I can take ease the problems he feels that as we do not know the cause it would be trial and error and the sides effects could be worse than what I am experiencing at the moment.( I find that hard to believe at the moment).

I've got to the point of I actually don't care what it is just give me something to make me feel more normal.

To Joe,
No problem, apologises accepted, It took 2 weeks to get the LP results but that is because we are seeing the neuro partly privatley an partly NHS. The Neuro is very considerate and thinks nothing of phoning to let us know whats going on. He also always asks whether any tests should be done privately or on NHS some of which he has pushed us to NHS as he feels the quality of the results would be bettter.(although the LP was very traumatic as the junior Dr couldn't do it. never again).

As he has no answers he has suggested a second opinion which he is organising.

Thanks for your support.
I Hope You Get Answers Which I Think You Will, This Neuro You Have Seems Spot On.
In The Meantime Please Take Care Of Yourself.
Regards Joe.