Bloodwork and diagnosing MS
My dr. said my bloodwork was fine, that any sign of inflammation would show up in the sed rate.

Wouldn't that be one of the diagnostic components, in addition to MRI's, LP's, etc.????

Suzanne

THERE IS NO BLOOD TEST THAT DETECTS MS.

IF THE SED RATE IS HIGH IT IS USUALLY ASSOCIATED WITH A HIGH ANA WHICH COULD BE RELATED TO TO ARTHRITUS OR LUPUS.

A HIGH SED RATE DOES SHOW INFLAMATION BUT MS RELATED.

I HOPE THIS MAKES SENSE.

T-LYNN
It is unusual for the inflammation of MS, which is isolated to the central nervous system and shielded from the body by the Blood-Brain Barrier, to show up in a high Sed Rate.  A high index of inflammation, either a high CRP or a high Sed Rate (ESR) show point the doctor to other conditions, like Lynn said of Lupus or arthritis, or infection.

Have we made sense yet?

Quix
Yes, I think I get it. He seemed to be baffled, said that it didn't seem to be MS because the sed rate was fine. To which I said I'm glad the bloodwork is okay, but what about the pain?

My husband works with a lady who has MS and she is in the care of the MS place I've mentioned. She had her appt. within 3 days of her dr. sending the referral. She had a diagnosis very quickly, so they must have top of the line diagnostics. Sounds hopeful that I can get to the bottom of this pretty quickly.

Suzanne