Multiple Sclerosis Community
Blurred Vision

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Blurred Vision

I have not seen this question on the forum, so thought I would pose it. My question addresses the type of blurred vision.

Is blurred vision in MS associated with the distance of the object s/he is viewing?

In other words, are all objects blurred; both far and near?

Or can objects seem blurred only at a far and not up close?
I think it can be either way depending on how MS is effecting your vision.

If you are having slight double vision the overlap of the images can make your vision blurry. When this is happening to me it effects my near vision as the alignment of my eyes to each other become less critical the further away something is.

If you are having Nystagmus ( rapid eye movement ) problems due to MS this can also cause blurred vision at times. Again with me this causes near vision problems.

Me can also limit the ability for you eyes to adjust the lens for either near or far images. Think of a binoculars that are not completely adjustable. If they are focus for something far away if you look at a near object it is out of focus. Conversely if they are focused for a near object things in the distance will be out of focus.

I also have some times when my vision is out of focus at all distances. I don't know the mechanics of how this happens, but the  only thing I can do when this happens is to lay down and close my eyes for several hours. The resting of my eyes helps clear this up so I can function again.

I Hope this helps.

Dennis
So can this come and go literally randomly from minute to minute? For example, if s/he looked on second and then turned away and looked back there is no blur.

Also, how distinct is the blurring? For example, is it definite blurring where you know you are not imagining it.

Vision issues are one of the most common sx of MS, around 70% of pwMS. These 3 are the main visual issues of MS, Optic Neuritis, Nystagmus and Diplopia. Blurred vision is a very very common visual complaint within the non-MS population, blurred vision 'on its own' can simply be from fatigue or medications for example, and not necessarily related to MS at all.

Based on your questions, i think what your experiencing doesn't particularly sound like MS at all but still its always important to get your eyes checked out by your optomitrist.

Personally, i use the term blurred quite often but the size of the object or text makes all the difference because I am really seeing a double image all the time. The smaller the object or text the more fuzzy the image, magnify the image and the blurr disapates to where i can clearly see one image on top of the other.  

Cheers............JJ

See linc below for more understanding of MS visual issuses

nationalmssociety.org/download.aspx?id=65 · PDF file