Bob called it! Trigeminal Neuralgia
Neuro-ophthalmologist says I have TN.  Everything about my eyes is as normal as can be.  VEPs, OCTs, dilated eye exam.  She prescribed me some generic Trileptal to see if it helps.

Meanwhile, I'm asking myself "Is this the one that will mark dissemination in time?"  But lots of people in their 50's get it for no apparant reason.  And there isn't a lesioin to explain it.  (We all know not to hang our hats on that one.)  Anyway, I'm glad somebody's finally going to give me something for the pain, and maybe I won't dig those two grooves between my eyebrows much deeper.
It was a good educated guess.  Most people get second or third branch symptoms with Trigeminal Neuralgia.  I can't think of too many cases where I have heard of pain on the orbit of the eye like you described, but anatomically, the first branch of the trigeminal nerve fit.  The generic Trileptal should work.  I've had good luck with the 200 mg Tegretol that I take at 7:00 am, 3:00 pm and bedtime.

Bob