Multiple Sclerosis Community
Bobble head

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Bobble head

Today I just started feeling like my head was slightly rhythmically bobbing.  When I stop to think about it, it stops.  It's happened through out the day today.

Then, just now I was having a cup of coffee and when I put the mug up to my lips to drink, my bottom jaw started trembling.  I stopped drinking (thinking hmmmm...weird).  I try again and the trembling started again.  I tried to replicate the trembling jaw without drinking to see if I was doing something to cause it and I couldn't.  Now it's gone.

Any ideas?  Just weird stuff?  

Corina
Ok, my head is really not behaving tonight!  I just went to scratch my face and poked myself in the eye!  That kind of stuff doesn't usually happen to me.

Corina
OH MY GOODNESS!! I had that same thing yesterday and thought I must be going nuts.

It felt just like a bobble head and it only happened while I was walking.

I do hope someone has the answer to that one. I was going to keep that symptom to myself for fear of sounding crazy...but I'm so glad I'm not alone.

I love the website and the people on here! all of you make me feel so normal and not alone.

-Kelly
With neurologic disease related to the basal ganglia there is a condition called Paroxysmal Dystonic Head Tremor.  It is rare and typically happens in very young children.  Similar dystonic movement disorders of the head are seen in adults.

Bob
I get bobble head too.  I have a lesion in the cerebellum, which causes tremor.  In this case I think the act of holding your head up is causing an action tremor in the muscles of the neck.  Corina, I also had a trembling chin, and it was the weirdest thing - looked like I was about to start crying.

Count me in as a bobble head.  This was one of my very first symptoms.  I have tremors in my hands, too, but they don't hurt.  When I get the bobble head going on it feels like it originates in my neck.  And my neck hurts pretty badly when it is happening.  I try to hold the back of my neck pretty hard due to the pain.  Sometimes this helps, sometimes it doesnt.  I seem to get it when I am flaring the most.  

This is something I recorded to show my neuro what happens.  My last neuro wasn't interested in watching the video.  I haven't shown my new neuro.  To be honest, I forgot I had the video.  This thread just reminded me of it!   So thank you!

Addi
Kelly - LOL I don't think we count as "normal"!  But anyways, you're right it is good to know you're not alone.

Bob - thanks for the info.  Whenever I'm doing research about my symptoms the basal ganglia shows up, including migraines which I also get.  

jensequitur - I have no idea about myself as I haven't had an MRI yet - doc still thinks fibro or something!  With my jaw trembling, the whole thing was moving up and down not just my chin!  I would hate that, it would be embarrassing for me to have people think I was on the verge of tears for no reason!

Addi - when I was researching I found that there is a disorder actually called bobble head syndrome!  (it's different, but I thought it was funny!)  At least I don`t have pain with this, just the shaking.  But my neck hurts constantly so maybe I wouldn`t notice.  I do have where I feel my head is too heavy to hold up and I think that causes the neck pain.

Thanks for everyone`s replies.  I feel like I`m falling apart!  or maybe shaking apart!

Corina
forgot to mention...I think the video idea is awesome.  I had a rash on my face the other day that was very lupus looking so I took some pictures.  I don`t know if I`ll actually be brave enough to show them to the doctor though.

Corina