Boosting your immune system
So I read in one of the posts that Quix said boosting your immune system is not good for people with MS.

My question is, will orange juice cause to much of a boost to your immune system? I have been on a really big orange juice kick lately, not sure why but can't seem to get enough.

I know that taking Vitamin C tablets can be bad but is orange juice? I know it has Vitamin C but is it as much as what you would get in a Vitamin C supplement.

I hope this makes sense, I am in a fog today. lol

Thanks,
Paula
I'll wait for the scientists among us to give an official comment, but meanwhile I can say this much, based on my reading---

'Boost' doesn't have much of a medical meaning. I suspect you'd have to ingest a huge amount of vitamin C for it to affect autoimmune conditions. Remember too that most other fruits and veggies have a lot of C also, and I've never heard of too much of them in a normal diet.

As with anything else, moderation is important. I think you should enjoy 8 ounces a day of OJ and not worry. But do consider it's high-cal because of the natural sugar.

ess
Supplement pills usually have a minimum of 250mg and many have 500 or 1000mg per tablet.  Some people supplement with much higher doses.  

The amount of vitamin C in your juice will vary by what kind it is (concentrate has higher levels), how it is packaged and how fresh it is (loses concentration of C as it approaches expiration date).  I think it runs somewhere between 30-60mg a serving and the higher end of that comes close to the "minimum daily requirement."

You probably don't need to worry too much since cravings like this are usually a short term obcession and you need to get some vitamin C in your diet for health and healing.  How much are you drinking?  I'm thinking the sugar high and weight gain would likely become a problem before you could drink enough OJ to overboard your immune system.

Mary
Thanks you two,

It is like I have replaced my soda for orange juice but much more. Not sure why. I am drinking OJ all the time now. I was just curious if I was going to cause more harm than good. I really didn't think about the calorie thing. I have just been buying about a gallon of OJ every two days and then I remembered what I had read about too much vitamin C.

Thanks again,

Paula