Multiple Sclerosis Community
Boosting your immune system

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Boosting your immune system

So I read in one of the posts that Quix said boosting your immune system is not good for people with MS.

My question is, will orange juice cause to much of a boost to your immune system? I have been on a really big orange juice kick lately, not sure why but can't seem to get enough.

I know that taking Vitamin C tablets can be bad but is orange juice? I know it has Vitamin C but is it as much as what you would get in a Vitamin C supplement.

I hope this makes sense, I am in a fog today. lol

Thanks,
Paula
I'll wait for the scientists among us to give an official comment, but meanwhile I can say this much, based on my reading---

'Boost' doesn't have much of a medical meaning. I suspect you'd have to ingest a huge amount of vitamin C for it to affect autoimmune conditions. Remember too that most other fruits and veggies have a lot of C also, and I've never heard of too much of them in a normal diet.

As with anything else, moderation is important. I think you should enjoy 8 ounces a day of OJ and not worry. But do consider it's high-cal because of the natural sugar.

ess
Supplement pills usually have a minimum of 250mg and many have 500 or 1000mg per tablet.  Some people supplement with much higher doses.  

The amount of vitamin C in your juice will vary by what kind it is (concentrate has higher levels), how it is packaged and how fresh it is (loses concentration of C as it approaches expiration date).  I think it runs somewhere between 30-60mg a serving and the higher end of that comes close to the "minimum daily requirement."

You probably don't need to worry too much since cravings like this are usually a short term obcession and you need to get some vitamin C in your diet for health and healing.  How much are you drinking?  I'm thinking the sugar high and weight gain would likely become a problem before you could drink enough OJ to overboard your immune system.

Mary
Thanks you two,

It is like I have replaced my soda for orange juice but much more. Not sure why. I am drinking OJ all the time now. I was just curious if I was going to cause more harm than good. I really didn't think about the calorie thing. I have just been buying about a gallon of OJ every two days and then I remembered what I had read about too much vitamin C.

Thanks again,

Paula