Multiple Sclerosis Community
Brain Scan

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Brain Scan

Can you please explain my MRI of the brain done with and without contrast please: On T2 weighted and FLAIR sequences, there are multiple subcentimeter round ovoid foci of high signal in the right frontal lobe periventricular white matter, in addition to several  subcentimeter lesions in the periventricular and subcortical white matter in the left frontal lobe and the subcortical white matter in the posterior right frontal lobe. At least three subcentimeter T2 and FLAIR hyperintense foci are noted in the periventricular white matter in the right parietal lobe. No area of restricted effusion are identified. These white matter lesions do not enhance on postcontrast imaging. The corpus callosum is normal in morphology and signal. The cerebellum and brainstem are norman in strcture and signal. No evidence of cortical infarct, intracranial hemorrhage, edema, mass lesion, abnormal, enhancement, or abnormal extraaxial fluid collection. The ventricles are normal and at midline. The paranasal sinuses and the arterial flow voids are patent. No chiari malformation.
IMPRESSION:
Multiple subcentimeter T2 and FLAIR hyperintense white matter lesions are noted in the bilateral frontal lobes and in the right parietal lobe, although are more numerous in the right frontal lobe periventricular white matter. These white matter lesions are nonspecific in appearance and do not enhance on postcontrast imaging. Differential considerations include both mild chronic small vessel ischemic change and myelinating disease such as multiple sclerosis. However, these lesions cannot be further defined. No evidence of acute infarct, cortical infarct, intracranial hemorrhage or mass. No evidence of acute intracranial abnormality.
Thank you
Teabreak
Hi, Teabreak. Don't think we've met. Welcome to the forum.

I'm no interpreter of MRIs, but I've seen quite a few reports in my time. Yours does sound suspect for MS to me. "Subcentimeter" is not very precise, in my view. That could be anywhere from tiny to 10 mm, so it's hard to visualize what the radiologist means. Your lesions do not enhance, meaning it's unlikely that any are newer than a few weeks old. Could be much older.

The radiologist is speculating that either MS or small vessel disease could be at the base of these abnormalities. We hear this kind of thing all the time on this forum.

Your MRI has meaning only in the context of a full neurological workup, including the symptoms you report. Would you like to tell us more about this?

ess
Hi, Essdipity,. Yes, I just got my MRI on Sunday, I been having severed headaches with pain in my right eye. I'm also on Warfarin (bloodthinning meds) so my doctor thought i could be bleeding in the brain so she order a ctscan. It showed New left high posterior frontal white matter hypodensity. Demyelination cannot be excluded. So the Er doc order an mri. So here we are. I'm also have polymyositits.