Multiple Sclerosis Community
Brain Stem Lesion

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Brain Stem Lesion

I was wondering what kinds of problems those of you with brain stem lesions have?  My lastest MRI shows more lesions and a new brain stem one.  I haven't done any of the DMD's, that is until now.  My neuro had been leaving it up to me, but he has kinda of said really now you need to start.  No more waiting.  So I will start on Beta soon.  O, the joys of this crazy MonSter.  

Be well all.
I think you need to start the DMD's.  Your brain stem has many different parts and structures.  It is called the 'Old Brain'  (if I am remembering right) in that the spine and nerves start there.  Motor and sensory nerves, facial nerves, autonomic system all start there.  

So it's important to be on one of them.  I don't take them so hopefully someone will chime in.

Red
I was reporting shortness of breath and elevated heart rate to my neuro, long before I knew about my brainstem lesions.  I have a 'hunger' for air - breathing normally doesn't seem to fix it, and I have to pant to equalize so I don't feel like I'm out of breath.  Fortunately this isn't a constant problem!

I also have elevated heartrate for no apparent reason.  Unfortunately no amount of biofeedback will bring it down.  I just have to put up with it until it goes away.
I haven't had any trouble breathing. I do feel like my heart rate may be elevated. But it goes away quickly and I just assumed it went along with high blood pressure. Which I have under control.
Jen, what is biofeedback?
My brain stem lesion has been there over forty years. I have double vision (which my brain compensates for for the most part), vertigo, and left side weakness and cognitive problems they thought was dyslexia. I did not know anything was wrong with me until the doctors pointed out in my 40's.

Alex
Hvac, I think you just answered my next question. If a brain stem lesion were not causing problems now, would it later?  So not necessilary. Forgive the spelling my brain is not working well either. I know it's wrong but I can't figure out how to spell it for the life me.
So it may never cause any symptoms? Right?
For me, the large lesion on my brain stem, and the only one in my brain, caused severe persistent and disabling double vision for about a year.  Didn't drive for that full year because of it.  I did recover though, probably 95%.  Steroids have helped other sensory symptoms and ON, but did little if anything to help the double vision.

Possibly, yeah.  There's no telling what that part of your brainstem with the lesion in it does.  Best off not to worry and see what happens.

Biofeedback is the process of 'thinking' your autonomic systems into a more relaxed rhythm. You can lower your heart rate by going through calming exercises to slow your heart rate and respiration.  But my rapid heartrate isn't affected by that - it just keeps hammering along.  
Oh I also do not have relapsing remitting I have Primary Progressive so steroids do not work on me and I have my symptoms all the time only some day can be worse do to heat or fatigue.

Alex
Hi  I suffer from elevated HR too and, after much research and many cardio appts. I am finally controlled with Toprol XR 100mg daily.  Worth a mention to your doc............best of luck