Multiple Sclerosis Community
Breathing and coughing problems

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Breathing and coughing problems

I've had an interesting month of having occasional but spontaneous breathing and coughing issues.  At first I thought it was leftovers of that virus I had in April, or seasonal allergies.  

But it continues.  I'll be doing my normal daily activities, breathing normally, and then I'll start coughing for no reason. A shallow, dry, non-productive coughing spell, and then I can't catch my breath. This often happens in front of patients at work, and I have to reassure them I don't have a bug.  

It almost feels like a muscular spasm, like hiccups, except instead of my diaphragm, its my intercostals.  Could this be a MS symptom?  Or is it just seasonal allergy stuff? It hasn't happened in the past.

Anyone else encounter this?
I have been having that go on for years now. At first I thought it was allergies as I am allergic to just about everything. But it eventually started happening year around and no matter what my surrounds were. Since I have been developing swallowing problems I have been thinking lately that it is a response to swallowing my saliva and some of it going down my wind pipe. At least that is the only thing I can think of for the moment and is one of my questions the next time I see my Neuro.

Dennis
Allergies by nature can get worse over time. I am still having allergies. I have a dry cough and I have a strange asthma instead of wheezing I feel like an elephant is sitting on my chest. I have used my inhaler more this year than any other spring. I do not know if that helps.

I guess it could be MS in your case and it couldn't hurt to let your Neurologist know.

Alex
I have been experiencing the same symptoms myself for the first time- cant tellya if it is or isn't an MS symptom, but I sure am going to find out!