Multiple Sclerosis Community
Burning leg pain

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Burning leg pain

I have been experiencing a burning sensation in my left leg and foot. Which is new. I am completely stressed out as my hubby just had his hip replaced. The strange thing is if I go out walking I'm pain free but when I sit around it hurts. Has anyone else experienced this?

Burning feet was one of my first signs of  MS....While the feeling was there during the day, I was too busy to worry about it.  There were times I would stop and hiding in my office put lotion on them.  The worse time was at bed.  They burned so much I wrapped them in cold wet sheets and put a fan directly on them....or there would have been no sleep.  I was too foolish to go to a doctor.  I just chalked it up to being on my feet all day and the nature of my work.
Hi!

I haven't been on the forum in a VERY long time, so I'm afraid I don't know people here well at all. Are you diagnosed? I am sort of in the 'undiagnosed phase'here, although I have been given a Dx of Demyelinating Disease and my internist thinks it's MS. I have had symptoms for many years,

I get different types of parasthesias such as tingling and prickling, wet sensations, but the worst is the burning feeling. It hurts so much it wakes me up at night. Just like Sumanadevii, it started in my feet and mostly when I was on them. Now I get burning in my limbs intermittently, usually when I am having an exacerbation. or if I have been overly active.

I would definitely mention it to your doctor. If you're not diagnosed, they can determine whether the pain is peripheral or central in nature. It could help your cause in diagnosis. And also you could get something to help alleviate the symptoms if you wish. I know there are medications to help with that somewhat.

Godd luck! I hope to get to know you better and that you feel well!

Peace!

Momzilla*
I get the burning in my left foot and leg too. It started out as something I could deal with but it progressed into feeling like I had fire running through my leg and that was unacceptable. My nuero put me on lyrica and it helps relieve the worst part of it.

I am the same way it is there during the day but tends to hurt a whole lot more at night when I sit down to relax or go to sleep. Not sure if it is just that we are relaxing and notice it more or not.

I have also put cold towells wrapped in a plastic bag on my leg in order to be able to sleep. Burning is not something I can tolerate, I do reccommend that you contact your neuro or GP to see if they can give you something for this.

Take care and sending cooling thoughts your way,
Paula
Thanks for the info. I was diagnosed with ms in Aug 2010 after having optic neuritis in March 2010.  

My legs bother me more at night. I take amatriptalin at bedtime.  I have been doing a lot of running this week due to husbands surgery. He needed a pair of Ted hose and I came across some leg compression gym style knee high socks
that I have been wearing during the day. They have actually made a difference in how
my legs feel. I'm going to call my neuro and see what he has to say.

I also came across this cooling pad at wal-greens that helps lower your body temperature. I put it on the back of my chair when I'm watching tv and I'm going to take it to work to sit on. It actually works. You don't have to freeze it and it doesn't need batteries or power.  I seem to always be warm and I don't know if it's ms
or hormornal.